Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: homemade gravy vs. drippings  (Read 1074 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
homemade gravy vs. drippings
« on: November 22, 2017, 07:45:29 PM »
I'm on the fence here. I want to pour the drippings back onto the bird after it's been cut up and on the platter. So I'd separate the fat from the drippings for that.

But I was looking at a basic gravy recipe and it said to use those drippings for gravy (after separating, heat the fat + flour, to create a roux, then add the drippings back.)

I sorta want to have both: drippings sans fat and gravy that has the drippings.

< That being said, it could be a problem when your drippings exist in two places at one time. >
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

rober

• Smokey Joe
Re: homemade gravy vs. drippings
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 12:30:06 AM »
wrong thread

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 03:45:00 AM »
It's a little late maybe but see if you can find turkey broth in a can.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 06:32:37 AM »
@addicted-to-smoke

A) Short boil, then simmer the neck & gizzards, w/herbs of choice for some stock.....

B) The bird itself loses "x" amount, so keep those as contained as possible......I do this....

....turk in pan, celery crossways under so it doesn't stick to the pan,.maximum extension of said "bird juice" by loading the pan w/ chicken broth.....

I keep the pan pretty full during the first part of the cook & let it boil down & concentrate near the end.....
Chicken broth (unsalted) will not change the flavor in any noticeable way,; it's fairly neutral, actually.....

Doing both those things will generate enough base for about two gallons of gravy & whatever you need to dump over the carved pieces....

Here's the wife's pot for stuffing flavoring going right now...

Here's the gravy stockpot, right now....

notice the size difference.....

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 05:09:10 PM »
@1buckie

As always, that's pretty awesome. Bookmarked for next time ...

I had a lot of help in the kitchen today but the gravy was an afterthought that almost never happened. Had to scramble as the carving was delegated and the crowd was hovering with plates in hand.

I had a problem with the drip pan under the turkey and lost half into the machine. Of what was left, I separated the fat the "MacGuyver way" (ziplock bag method). I heated the fat with some gluten-free flour because that's just the way it is for some here ...

After it got hot I added the juice back with some water. It looked like gravy and almost tasted like it after some basic seasonings.

I trashed the neck bone before I'd considered making soup but froze the carcass for making soup later.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

GillingNoob757

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 06:34:11 PM »
I use the turkey neck, heart, and liver for the gravy. I would normally use drippings, but since I smoke the turkey, the gravy would have a hint of smoke as well, which wasn't a hit with my wife. Turns out this is a great way to make gravy. It also makes a nice treat for my dog. :D

[/url]

« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 06:36:00 PM by GillingNoob757 »