Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Favorite Grill Probe  (Read 2134 times)

kevinsmith812

• Smokey Joe
Favorite Grill Probe
« on: November 19, 2017, 05:51:29 PM »
I’m about to smoke my first turkey and wanted to see what you guys recommend for the best Grill Probe system. Thanks!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Favorite Grill Probe
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 05:58:20 PM »
Lots of people are happy with the wireless Maverick ET-733 or Thermoworks smoke.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 06:59:40 PM »
Thermoworks Smoke here...love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

tmartin

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 08:03:22 AM »
Another vote for the Smoke.  Setup is foolproof and can't beat the quality.

JordanW

• WKC Brave
    • Instagram - @bigtroublebbq
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 08:11:24 AM »
Thermoworks Smoke or Dot would work great for a turkey-

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 08:42:05 PM »
ThermoWorks Dots for me. Foolproof, highly accurate, and affordable.

In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 08:51:55 AM »
I tend to see these same names offered up over and over again.  Does anybody who owns them have experience with some of the cheaper models?  Are these pricey ones extremely great compared to the lesser choices out there or does everyone tend to start off with these particular brands and then just enjoy them?  I have trouble justifying spending more $$$ on thermometers than the kettle itself!  I've been using a Maverick HD32 (was the only choice on the shelf when I needed something right away).  Seems to work well enough for me and it cost less than $30. 
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 10:55:10 AM »
The ThermoWorks Dots were just on sale for $34, normally $39.

In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

tmartin

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2017, 03:54:29 AM »
I tend to see these same names offered up over and over again.  Does anybody who owns them have experience with some of the cheaper models? 

I have a Thermopro Tp20 which goes for around $50.  It's a twin probe unit and has better range than my smoke actually.  My issue is that the alarm is limited to a high setting so it won't go off if the fire goes out.  Since I do alot of overnight cooks this was a problem which is why I upgraded to a smoke.

My TP20 stopped syncing with the reciever one day.  After talking to customer service they overnighted me a complete replacement set which I thought was impressive.

PorkPatrol

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2017, 06:44:46 AM »
Thermoworks Smoke with gateway here. It’s pricey, but it’s a insurance policy especially after numerous cooks. You don’t want to trash. $30 turkey let alone a $75 brisket. My thermapro (rebranded Maverick, Familie, etc. ) had as much as a 30 degree temperature swing inaccuracy. Invest in either a Thermoworks Instant read to validate temps or, like me, start a Thermoworks obsession and buy a Smoke, Gateway, Dot and Thermapen! You won’t be disappointed.

vader06

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2017, 07:15:13 PM »
I have an iGrill 2 and an iGrill mini which have not let me down.  I got the iGrill 2 for half the price and the mini was a gift.  Some day I will get The Thermoworks Smoke.  I do have a Thermopen which is awesome. 

Genesis Gold B, 18" WSM, 18" Yellow, 22" Blue OTG, 22" Lime MBH, 22"  Black SJ, Black Jumbo Joe Platinum and Red 22" LE.

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2017, 04:17:02 AM »
I’m a former iGrill mini user and recently upgraded to an igrill2 from EBay for around $50 for an open box unit listed OBO.  Although the Bluetooth range is a limiting factor, i can work around that by using an AppleTV to mirror the interface from my iPad to the tv in my office.

Thanks to that ongoing BlackFriday thread, I just ordered two ambient probes from thermoworks and I hope they play nice with the igrill2. 

Our Thanksgiving roast was a perfect medium thanks to the igrill2.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2017, 04:19:54 AM »
I am using the maverick 732 and igrill mini. The range on the igrill isn’t that far and I lose connection if I am not in the yard. That is to be expected though as Bluetooth doesn’t reach that far. I use my igrill mini specifically on my rotisserie. It works perfect as the back has a magnet on it and the wire slips under the ring.

The maverick has been awesome. Range is good enough for my property. Doesn’t kill batteries. People complain about the probes dying and not working, Never had an issue with the probes. But I do take good care of my possessions and don’t abuse things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk