Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Repair swiper leafs  (Read 1238 times)

rui_alberto

Repair swiper leafs
« on: October 29, 2017, 02:59:22 AM »
Hi guys,

In my 57cm weber, one of the swiper leafs got bent up after a hard bit of coal got under it. Now I can't fully close the bottom vent. I know this can be replaced all together, but I think i can bend it back to place. Problem is i have to take the whole thing apart, to "over bend it" so it will sit flush to the kettle, and I haven't been able to unlock the handle from this "click" in place thingie... can it be done? Any hints? Plan b will be to tear it apart and repalce :)

Grill was bought 2nd hand, couple of years ago, so warranty claim I would say is a no-go.

Greetings from Germany

Sent from my SM-G900F using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Bertl

• WKC Ranger
Re: Repair swiper leafs
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 04:13:46 AM »
Hi guys,

In my 57cm weber, one of the swiper leafs got bent up after a hard bit of coal got under it. Now I can't fully close the bottom vent. I know this can be replaced all together, but I think i can bend it back to place. Problem is i have to take the whole thing apart, to "over bend it" so it will sit flush to the kettle, and I haven't been able to unlock the handle from this "click" in place thingie... can it be done? Any hints? Plan b will be to tear it apart and repalce :)

Grill was bought 2nd hand, couple of years ago, so warranty claim I would say is a no-go.

Greetings from Germany

Pm sent @rui_alberto

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk

rui_alberto

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 05:54:28 AM »
Update, i could unlock the handle with a flat blade screw driver (thanks Bertl) and remove the whole mechanism. Bent it a bit and now it's fine again :)

Afterall, was not a coal piece, was some gunk that was sticking to the bottom of the grill, after some wings cooking. All was cleaned and is back in shape :D

All ready for some winter grilling :)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 07:40:15 AM »
I'm now a firm believer in drip pans or foil under food, for this very reason. On one of my Performers, a blade wouldn't pass underneath the gas tube. The build up is gradual ... and once it's ashed over you don't even realize the blades are riding above the level of the kettle metal.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 08:11:11 AM »

Glad you got it done.

I had posted a pic years ago but it is lost in the FotoPhucket maze … So, here it is again for future reference.

Not difficult to do.

weber_H_removal.jpg" border="0
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

rui_alberto

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 09:47:33 AM »
Thanks ! That's what i did ;)