Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: pellets instead of woodchips for smoke?  (Read 1073 times)

BillA from CA

• Smokey Joe
pellets instead of woodchips for smoke?
« on: August 15, 2017, 12:04:37 PM »
I searched for and read many posts in these forums that mention pellets but none (I think) really concisely answer my question, thus this new post:  any experience with using small batches of pellets instead of batches of chips for flavored smoke? I don't want to add in a whiz-bang auto pellet loader but pellets here on a per-pound basis appear to be cheaper than wood chips of same flavor, plus the pellets are uniform and performance probably reproducible. Pros and cons for pellets used instead of wood chips for flavored smoke in charcoal kettles ???? [application is grilling and long term smoking, not cold smoking or other less typical uses]

« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 12:10:21 PM by BillA from CA »
Still searching for a food that does NOT taste better when grilled or smoked

SixZeroFour

Re: pellets instead of woodchips for smoke?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 12:13:48 PM »
A co-worker of mine uses pellets all the time as his smoke wood. I prefer wood chunks personally but its 100% do-able.

Pro's: Easy to store and use. Lot's of flavors and blends available.
Con's: little more set-up to make up a foil pack or similar to hold them. Can be a pain to get started. I wouldn't throw them direct on to the coals either or they will most likely burn off quite quickly.

Give it a shot and let us know how you make out 8)
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
Re: pellets instead of woodchips for smoke?
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 12:57:39 PM »
If you're going the pellet route, I would highly recommend your check out A-Maze-N.  I use wood chunks pretty much for my grilling/smoking, but do use them for cold smoking.  I also gave one to each of S-i-L's to use on their gas grills.  Great product.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
pellets instead of woodchips for smoke?
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 01:17:08 PM »
I started off buying $20 bags of wood chunks at Home Depot. That got old real quick. Since then I just keep an eye out for family and friends that cut various types of suitable trees down and they give me a small pile or I trade for helping. Then I chop it up. A little more work but it beats the heck out of buying wood or pellets. With that said I will need some pellets for cold smoking but I'm sure my buddies with pellet smokers would hook me up with a small bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app