Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber Kettle Platinum  (Read 2135 times)

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
Weber Kettle Platinum
« on: September 06, 2017, 10:05:05 AM »
I can't seem to bring this up on ereplacementparts.com.  What I am specifically after is the front handle to use on a 26.  Anyone happen to have the part number?

Thank You,
Jim

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
Re: Weber Kettle Platinum
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 10:13:17 AM »
Handle kit #80489

Thinking of adding one to a 18 OTG with a broken lid hook
and installing the Unknown BBQ hinge..

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 10:16:38 AM »

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 10:24:36 AM »
Damn that was fast! I bet I wasted more than an hour. Either you're good or I'm a dumbass.

We'll just leave that alone.

Thank you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 11:56:13 AM »
Been thinking about adding one for awhile. Are you adding a hinge or just using it to open the lid into the bale?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 12:10:14 PM »
I swear some of these posts are giving me PTSD!  LOL
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 12:27:37 PM »

I swear some of these posts are giving me PTSD!  LOL

I notices in another thread that you said you helped bring the 26 back. Glad you did. My modern 26 is my favorite weber product so far.  Personally, I would not want a hinge but I have thought a front handle might work. Not sure as I haven't tried it yet.

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 12:34:12 PM »
There were all kinds of "discussions" as to handle placement and how people use the lids.  The "problem" with the large front-only handle was the weight of it. Sure -you're supposed to roll it back into the cradle,  but you know that someone will lift it off when it's hot and slam it into their leg while wearing shorts.  Not to mention the clip in heat shield that was adapted from the old performer thermometer handle strap.

We had about 4 or 5 protos of the 22" smoker lid with various handle placements as well.

Funny.. For all my work, I never got a 22" smoker or a 26" kettle, lol.
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 01:10:46 PM »
Been thinking about adding one for awhile. Are you adding a hinge or just using it to open the lid into the bale?

I'm going to leave the top handle installed and add the front handle to slide the lid into the bale.  I've done with my performer for so many years that it feels kinda weird to actually lift the lid off.  Because of that, I'm not too worried about a hot lid becoming a mishap.  Especially with the added weight of the 26er lid.

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 01:21:14 PM »
yep.. The front with is sliding into the bail would be the way "nature intended".  There was that goofy short-lived grill with 2 side tables that had that.

I'm always for extra leverage.  Top and front like the 22 smoker is a good way to "handle" it.