Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: PSB 2  (Read 1033 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
PSB 2
« on: July 23, 2016, 04:33:20 PM »
I've done this more than once (I think) but #2 is what my images say, so PSB #2 it is. I more or less followed "the usual" recipe.

The setup. I only have the JJ at my future residence. The large wrap around porch is gonna be a dream for the cooking machines. If I can fit them in with the various exercise machines, freezers, fridge, old kitchen table, random saddles and related ephemera and so on.

Once that got going, I took a look at Buster's Chevy. We want to put on a proper 6-pin trailer harness connection ... the bumper's hole would work, not be pretty. But I couldn't get 12v at any of the harness wires. I crawled under, saw how he wired it up years ago and PUNTED. I didn't think I could do anything without a lot of time, or I might leave him with no tail lights.

After about 3-4 hours of the Ford being on the battery charger (set to high), I switched it to the trickle setting (low) since my old charger doesn't have a timer. I tightened two loose battery cables ... It fired up, but slow. He probably needs both batteries replaced since they do have water and are a few years old. Hopefully they can get back from the horse show tonight. My girl and my wife run both poles and barrels here in TN. One of Buster's horses is the fastest in the state. If you can hang on he does the rest.

Not long after, Jimmy called Buster. He was over at Enoch's and his fuel pump went out. This happens once a year on his S-10. They're friends but Buster was annoyed that Jimmy asked for help right before he had to get ready for the show (i.e. the races). Buster takes this seriously. For example, friends and family don't come to the house to ride the horses around the yard ... and then screw up their relationship with their normal rider, ya know.

So, Buster and I take the Chevy over there, about 15 miles through the farmland across the unmarked state line. "See that line of trees? On the other side is Kentucky." There's no state sign on this road. But the fence and straight line of old trees tell the tale.

We catch Jimmy coming back with David on his buggy. He just secured a trailer and help from the next farm. Half a dozen young men are waiting for us, so off we go. All have the characteristic long pants, long sleeve shirts rolled up, straw hats, beards if old enough to sport them, and pleasant demeanor. This is Mennonite country here, and they have the best butter and whatnot for sale by the way. Jimmy has often transported them and bought from them; they don't hesitate to help us. They all climb into the pickup's bed.

We push the S-10 into the field and position the trailer, taking advantage of a small ditch so that we can just push the S-10 onto the flatbed at ground level. Buster's truck gets stuck first. David chains his two horses to the back of the trailer, Buster hits reverse and the truck and trailer are free. This happens again in the field, and again the two horses are deftly positioned quickly, this time at the front of the trailer, just as if you were using a truck to move the trailer. It's all pretty freakin' impressive actually.

We push the S-10 out of the field and onto the trailer without any drama, chain it down. On the way home, Jimmy says this is the third time it's happened despite using new (not rebuilt) fuel pumps each time. He'll have to pull the bed (easier than lowering the gas tank) to replace the fuel pump. I suggested he cut an access hole in the truck bed "for next time."

So Jimmy had bought several bags of chicken or goat feed or something. Jimmy has great, free range eggs for less not much money. Gives them to us when he actually has chickens. The feed bags are now in Buster's truck ... trailer still attached ... at Buster's place because Jimmy doesn't have room for it ... Buster doesn't have time to fool with anything more here ... rain's a-comin' and that's over $100 worth of feed out in the open. <sigh>

Our minivan's here. I pull it up and load the 700lbs of feed into it. And take Jimmy up the road, to home, and help him unload the cargo.

Right before I left, I added more charcoal. My mother-in-law tells me she added 4 more while I was gone. The Tel-Tru reports about 300, all is good. The meat's been on almost 4 hours ... 3lbs of chuck I think ... the only available thermometer is a (baking?) one (only reads to 220?). I stick it through a vent, deep into the meat.

120 degrees. Seriously, that's all? Meat is squishy but I resisted the urge to cut it open. So maybe it actually is still raw?

No one's waiting on dinner at a normal time, which is a big reason why I made this with makeshift gear on hand. I foiled it and put it back on, with more fuel.

Went inside the prep the rest and spied what looks like a Lodge L8DO3 in the garage. 5QT dutch oven with bale hoop. But it looks a little smaller than my "regular" 5QT Lodge DO.

The JJ's lid won't fit with the dutch oven's lid in place, and it's not because of the bale hoop. I think my Tel-Tru gets in the way. 7:30pm, been cooking in the pepper and juice for a good hour, maybe more. Gotta be done, yeah?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: PSB 2
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 05:08:43 PM »
Not so much.

Meat at 140 degrees, after 6 hours in. Got tired of waiting and took it all inside and started spreading it. It's cooked, sure, but not tender. No pressure cooker here to cheat with. Back on the grill. More charcoal. Foil down on top of the goods and used a smaller CI lid so that the JJ's lid can better fit. I'm not even gonna check it for a few hours. I'm about done.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 05:15:30 PM »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 07:24:41 PM »
10:20pm

(Meat went on at 1:40pm)

It's been mostly cut-up, with the rest of the goodies in the dutch oven with the lid on for a good 3 hours now. I lifted the lid and the thermometer, not sure what it was sticking into, read 160. Grill has been reliably at 250-300 much of the time.

Kinda want to end this and just take a freakin' shower.

Matt_T

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 07:38:53 PM »
I am still awake and I need to know what happens....

- Keep it simple stupid -

Keep it simple stupid

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 08:52:42 PM »
part of the problem ... kitchen isn't 50 degrees ...

So I lost about 1/5 of it due to burning, and the juice was all gone. Even so, it DID need to cook longer even after the 5-6 hr mark when I went "all in" on it. Shoulda just pulled it out of the heat earlier.

Got some burnt ends out of the deal, too. And it seems tender now, and meat is juicy, but I'm too tired to try any. And I long ago brushed my teeth.