Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Searing with an old Genesis  (Read 1788 times)

jjmoss1

• Happy Cooker
Searing with an old Genesis
« on: June 12, 2016, 09:22:14 PM »
I recently restored my Pop's old Genesis 3000.  Up until this point I have only used a weber kettle, so this is my first gas grill.  I still prefer the kettle for weekends and anything where I need indirect heat (like tri tip), but the convenience of the gas is pretty nice during the week.  However, I've been having trouble getting a good sear on things, and it's very difficult to get any type of grill marks.  Usually I preheat the grill until it's 450 degrees (about ten minutes) before I put anything on.  It feels like the grill is quite hot, but produces very little sear.  Should I be preheating longer, or is there something wrong with my grill?  If so what do I need to fix?  Thanks for the advice!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Searing with an old Genesis
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 10:28:19 PM »
What grates does it have? The sheet metal grates don't have much thermal mass so the seat marks are only so-so from them.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 03:20:47 AM »
450 probably isn't high enough temp for a good quick sear.  Also, as gummi mentioned, the thermal mass of the grates is probably the most important.  You can get them screaming hot, but it won't do any good if they instantly cool down when you drop a hung of meat on them.  Thats why cast iron and heavy SS always get you your best marks.

On my old Silver C , I will crank mine up to high and let it sit for 10 mins or so.  In that time, it will bury the needle on the thermometer.  I run the heavy duty SS grates sold by rcplanebuyer on Ebay.  They leave awesome sear marks. 
-Keith

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 04:36:03 AM »
My 13 bar Genesis has the cast iron grates from a Silver C in it.
They leave nice sear marks.
Grillgrates would work and you could use them in your kettles too.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

jjmoss1

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 05:25:02 AM »
Ah, thanks for the responses.  I've got the standard grates.  I believe their stainless steel sheet metal.  Sounds like I should look into a new set.  Good to know!

Wahoo95

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 03:04:21 PM »
I too have a 13 bar Genesis with cast iron grates and it has no problem hitting 550deg and providing a very nice sear on meats.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 05:46:13 PM »
Could also be that something is causing your grill to not really heat up.  I can do 450 with 2 burners on high on my Genny B and my C.  Pull the flavor bars and check to see what your flames look like. 

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 03:58:58 AM »
Could also be that something is causing your grill to not really heat up.  I can do 450 with 2 burners on high on my Genny B and my C.  Pull the flavor bars and check to see what your flames look like.

Agreed.......I believe the thermometer on mine goes to 550.  I can get it close to that with 2 burners going.  With all 3 going, I can easily peg it.......it gets screaming hot. 
-Keith