Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Thrill of the hunt  (Read 3852 times)

brawndo

• Smokey Joe
Thrill of the hunt
« on: August 23, 2015, 03:29:15 PM »
Last Saturday, I was cooking (just burgers, nothing special) on my hand me down 18" kettle (EE vent code).  As I chatted with friends and family,  I demonstrated why I wanted a larger grill and a work table (size, place for seasonings, beer etc.).  I've always really liked the stainless performers, so I recently have been scouring yard sales, estate sales and Craigslist. 

After everyone left on Saturday, we cleaned up and I sat down to read the news, scores, etc.  I find a CL ad for a "weber charcoal grill." I clicked to see a red ss performer, in what appeared to be decent shape.  Figuring I had missed the boat, I shot off a "Hail Mary" email and turned in for the night.  I get the anticipated response "someone's coming to get it in the morning, I'll let you know if they don't."  By this point, I've moved on, mad that I missed it. 

A few hours later I get an email...."other guy said it's too far..."  I'm in, I get the address and head out to collect my bounty.  I show up to find a good condition performer (EZ vent code).  I can see that the propane tank will be an issue, and that I'll have to replace the ash catcher, but otherwise decent shape.  Also, after just a few hours, I see that the ash catcher will be problematic.  By Friday, I had accepted that I would be retrofitting the newer style ash catcher /sweep to work on this kettle.

Today I stumbled across an estate sale on the way home from church.  It's the second day, so everything is 50% off.  I dart straight for the patio / garage area to find an EI vent code 22" kettle, with the ash sweeper and catcher in tact!  It's a great find on its own, but puts me way ahead in getting the performer ready.

So, after a little work today to remove the sweeper without breaking off the thumbscrew, here it is on the performer.

I intentionally left this part until the end...I paid $25 for the performer and $15 for the kettle! 

I still am working on getting the 1 gallon propane tank recertified and/or replaced, but I'm using a 5 gallon tank for now. The kettle is in decent shape, has a few scars and dings, but this won't be a show piece, it'll be my daily driver.  I'll dig through my bike parts bin and replace at least two of the star nuts on the bottom rails, as they probably don't have much life left.  Also, with the kettle from the estate sale, I'll be using bits and pieces for my next project, which will be building an ugly drum smoker.

Maxmbob

• WKC Ranger
Re: Thrill of the hunt
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 03:33:06 PM »
Last Saturday, I was cooking (just burgers, nothing special) on my hand me down 18" kettle (EE vent code).  As I chatted with friends and family,  I demonstrated why I wanted a larger grill and a work table (size, place for seasonings, beer etc.).  I've always really liked the stainless performers, so I recently have been scouring yard sales, estate sales and Craigslist. 

After everyone left on Saturday, we cleaned up and I sat down to read the news, scores, etc.  I find a CL ad for a "weber charcoal grill." I clicked to see a red ss performer, in what appeared to be decent shape.  Figuring I had missed the boat, I shot off a "Hail Mary" email and turned in for the night.  I get the anticipated response "someone's coming to get it in the morning, I'll let you know if they don't."  By this point, I've moved on, mad that I missed it. 

A few hours later I get an email...."other guy said it's too far..."  I'm in, I get the address and head out to collect my bounty.  I show up to find a good condition performer (EZ vent code).  I can see that the propane tank will be an issue, and that I'll have to replace the ash catcher, but otherwise decent shape.  Also, after just a few hours, I see that the ash catcher will be problematic.  By Friday, I had accepted that I would be retrofitting the newer style ash catcher /sweep to work on this kettle.

Today I stumbled across an estate sale on the way home from church.  It's the second day, so everything is 50% off.  I dart straight for the patio / garage area to find an EI vent code 22" kettle, with the ash sweeper and catcher in tact!  It's a great find on its own, but puts me way ahead in getting the performer ready.

So, after a little work today to remove the sweeper without breaking off the thumbscrew, here it is on the performer.

I intentionally left this part until the end...I paid $25 for the performer and $15 for the kettle! 

I still am working on getting the 1 gallon propane tank recertified and/or replaced, but I'm using a 5 gallon tank for now. The kettle is in decent shape, has a few scars and dings, but this won't be a show piece, it'll be my daily driver.  I'll dig through my bike parts bin and replace at least two of the star nuts on the bottom rails, as they probably don't have much life left.  Also, with the kettle from the estate sale, I'll be using bits and pieces for my next project, which will be building an ugly drum smoker.
Great find. I really like the SS Performers also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

WTB, Westerner, glen blue,

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 03:57:34 PM »
Wow great find!

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 04:09:18 PM »
Man. Great work. Congrats on the finds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 04:29:58 PM »
Nice Red! I have been looking for a Red for 2 years. Found a Red SS, looked good in pics, went to look and the back side of the lid was smashed in. Yea they just took piks of the good side.  I'm kinda kicking my self for not buying anyway as the bowl was in great shape ( they were set on $75 price and I took a gamble it wouldn't sell, and I could get it cheaper, it sold a few days later) There is a red Master Touch at what looks like a foreclosed house I have my eye on but every time I drive by looks like no one is there.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 04:36:28 PM »
Great couple of finds there....fun isn't it.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 06:04:10 PM »
That's a black Master Touch you disfigured, but since it was to restore a Red SSP, I have no problem w/ it.  ;D
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 08:29:01 PM »
Two great scores for sure,a Red SS Performer and a Black MT!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 08:34:21 PM »
Wow, what a great weekend! 

And as a fellow red EZ SS owner, welcome to the club!  Where are you located?  I'm sure someone can help you find a place to recertify your 1 gallon tank (in the meantime, try taking it to a refill spot and see if they overlook it).
One of the charcoal people.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2015, 08:41:17 PM »
Very nice! Looks great! Congrats...
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2015, 09:05:37 PM »
Great work!
I would love to have that Master Touch...
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2015, 06:53:56 AM »
Good work!
May The Smoke Be With You!

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2015, 07:26:25 AM »
Good finds. We'll played.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2015, 01:41:31 PM »
Nice Job.  Two really great finds!

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2015, 08:31:42 PM »
In the words of the immortal Bard  ...  "Performers come to those that wait ..."  ...  or some such  :)  :)            SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".