Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber silver  (Read 3811 times)

Rondo

• WKC Brave
Weber silver
« on: July 03, 2015, 04:31:40 PM »
Someone gave me a weber silver with the two knobs. It's pretty rough. Should I mess with it or not?

Rondo

• WKC Brave
Re: Weber silver
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 05:37:02 PM »
Hmmmmmm

Rondo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 05:43:54 PM »
Thanks for all the input. I don't know much about the gasses.

Rondo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 05:44:11 PM »
Gassers

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 07:45:27 PM »
To each there own, but if I was going to spend money on fixing up a gasser it would have to be a 3 burner Genesis or a Summit model. For a 2-burner, i guess it would depend on how far gone it is. Flavorizer bars, grates, burners, and new covers add up quick.  You could spend the same amount rehabbing a 3-burner and have a much better finished product.

Most parts should be available from your local hardware store. If not, check out ereplacementparts.com or call Weber directly
-Keith

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 08:00:33 PM »
Damn Rondo, really ?  1 hr and 15 mins on Friday night ?    Really ?

To answer your question, it all depends on how "rough" it is.   If the flavorizers, burners and grates all have to be replaced, then generally, no, not really.  Not unless it has some sentimental meaning or it's some special model.  Reasoning above is that grates and flavorizer bars will run you $40+ each and burners probably $30.    $110 is too much to put into it unless it's special circumstances.  However, IF the costs are lower, say that only the flavorizers have to be replaced, that changes the calculations.   

If it just looks "rough" but only needs some elbow grease and some paint, then yes, it's worthwhile.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 09:28:00 PM »
How old is it? If it's a Genesis Jr, I'd hang onto it, for sure.
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2015, 04:18:18 AM »
Yeah, I am really confused about this initial thread by Rondo, it's not like there is a team of consultants waiting in the wings to answer questions.  Chill out.

As with others, It is hard to tell, it depends partly on needs, do you need a gasser?  Are the burners good? Flavorizer bars? grates?  You could drop $150 into a grill that I get all day long for $50 to $75.

I recondition gassers and a lot of times all they need is afresh coat of paint on the housing.  Post some pics and we can talk more, on our own time......
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Rondo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 05:02:59 AM »
Well okay, I'll check and see if it's a genesis jr. If not then probably not worth it. Needs a lot. I don't know much about them but it seems like it would cost quite a bit to rebuild.thanks for the input.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2015, 06:19:06 AM »
Rondo, it still depends on the meaning of "rough".  I picked up two free Gennys this past year from owners who thought/said they were in " rough" shape.   My total out of pocket to "restore" both was about $45.  1 set of flavorizers and a can of high heat spray paint.  What they really needed was a good cleaning and some touch up.

Rondo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2015, 06:41:51 AM »
The rails on the bottom are just about rusted off. They will last awhile but not much longer. Really abused. Never covered just set outside apparently. I'm not sure how to post pics or I would.

Rondo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 07:43:54 AM »
How do you tell if its a genesis jr? Looks like a silver to me with the two knobs and the ignitor button. I know it was free but it needs burners, flavorizers, grates, ignitor, paint. I think its to much for this type of grill. I picked up a silver 3 burner for $40 and needs grates ( its a wife thing ) and ignitor. Paints already good and its really clean. The pan on the bottom is rusted pretty bad but still usable. I may see if someone else wants the two unless someone can give me a reason to restore.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2015, 09:44:57 AM »
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

Rondo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2015, 10:20:55 AM »
Thank you it is not a jr. Must be newer but rough. I just gave it a bath to see if its worth a look after a cleanup. May can save for parts. The side table is good and looks like the propane hose is okay. Knobs etc.