Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My father-in-law's gen 2 Performer  (Read 2157 times)

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
My father-in-law's gen 2 Performer
« on: August 23, 2015, 07:40:40 PM »
Several years ago (before being bit by the Weber-itis bug), while at the in-laws' house and drooling over my father-in-law's redhead SSP, I mentioned that if he ever decided to get rid of it, that I'd be happy to take it off his hands. A week, maybe two weeks later, the grill was mine. He had picked up a new Performer (gen 2). He said he liked the redhead, but it didn't have gas assist (which has since been added), and well, it was just time for a new one.   

Fast forward to about 3 months ago. The in-laws are over, I'm grilling on the deck, and my FiL is looking at the grill that used to be his… says something to the effect of how nice-looking the red Weber grills are, and then "if you ever want to get rid of my old grill, let me know".   :-\ ???  8)  ;)

Now, I'm not quite ready to give up the the best cooker there ever was just yet (I figure my 5 year old son will want it someday), but I've got an option that will work just fine.

You see, last November, @bob hope gifted a beater, red fade SSP to me. It's been sitting in my boneyard ever since.  The bowl on this gift is in great shape; the lid is pretty trashed. But… I've got a bowl.

At the end of June, I started chatting with @fedex ; I explained that I was looking for a lid… a week and a half later, he sends me an excellent condition red fade lid. All for the low cost of… shipping. That's it. Just shipping.

Bowl... check. Lid... check.

Well… the FiL now has a Red Performer, as of yesterday.  My little guy and I snuck over to his house while he was out, made the swap, put the cover on, and zipped out of there.  I hope to be there next time he pulls the cover off the grill…  ;D

In addition to the bowl and lid being free, the table on Performer is a temporary replacement (the original had a big crack in it, and we'll be adding a 2015 steel table) courtesy of @ramsfan . Added a lid thermometer, and we'll be adding a wood handle at a later date, as well.

The Fella's of the WKC kick ass. @bob hope (where ever you are), @fedex , @ramsfan … thank you! Couldn't have done it without you, and I couldn't have done it without the  knowledge, experience, and inspiration of the fine people on this forum.

Damn, that's a pretty grill!

Next up… continued restoration of the yellow 22, and turning the remains of that beater SSP into a SS WSM (ala @Jeff and @pbe gummi bear ).
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 08:30:55 PM by Bob BQ »
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: My father-in-law's gen 2 Performer
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 08:17:12 PM »
Looks great, Bob. The red is at home on that chassis.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 08:21:16 PM »
Way to go, good on you for doing this for your FIL!  I would of put the RRR sticker on the frame and then put the cover on!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

fedex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 08:30:19 PM »
SWEET!!!!!!
1 Black Limited Edition Kettle & Wife Model #1962

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 09:08:02 PM »
He's gonna love it!
A bunch of black kettles