Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: newb charcoal question  (Read 3412 times)

EricD

• WKC Brave
newb charcoal question
« on: April 30, 2015, 07:59:17 AM »
Hi All, 
Brand new here, just posted in the intro section, but have a question already.
I recently bought my first kettle which is also the first time using charcoal.  (I've always had a gasser). 
I know the Minion method and the Snake method.   Are there any other useful  'methods' a newb should know?
Thanks for any replies!
Eric
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732
ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mat, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotiserrie

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
Re: newb charcoal question
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 08:06:25 AM »
Most helpful is zone cooking. Meaning, having coals maybe on the sides for direct cooking and no coals in the middle for indirect cooking. Weber sells baskets which make this really easy. Usually, the more zones you can setup the better...

Welcome to charcoal grill....you will wonder why you ever used a gasser..

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 08:33:34 AM »
I second that, do some digging around and you will learn a ton. Charcoal grills are very versatile and you will be constantly learning new things about them.
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 08:56:07 AM »
Here's a chart found somewhere that shows some ways of thinking about setup....

Off to one side is pretty common for here....

Leaves a lot of area for dancing things back & forth in & out (or near) of the heat..........

You're not limited to the cooking grate alone, either... MacEggs' chicken setup:

You can use the baskets to kind of "place" your heat, but i've had variable success with them choking the airflow a little.....a good load of lit coal works well, but adding charcoals sometimes doesn't fare quite as well sometimes........
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 10:49:56 AM »
Buckie is on the ball here, listen to his wisdom.

That's all I have to add, ohh also get a chimney starter, the weber one works best IMHO.

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 11:02:20 AM »
Avoid the boyscout water method @ all costs ((lighter fluid))
Your food will thank you.
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 11:24:12 AM »
Thank you all!  I didn't mention, I do have a Weber Chimney.  I will NEVER use 'boyscout water'  (lol, that was a new one!)
1Buckie, that graphic is awesome, thanks!
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732
ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mat, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotiserrie

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 05:26:22 AM »
Buckie is on the ball here,ALWAYS, ABOUT ALL THINGS KETTLE RELATED AND BEYOND!  8) 8) 8)listen to his wisdom.

That's all I have to add, ohh also get a chimney starter, the weber one works best IMHO.

In all seriousness, read the posts from the vets and you will learn some tried and true methods.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2015, 05:26:08 AM »
I think a very important thing to mention is to keep notes of cooks, that way you can compare when you try different stuff until you figure out the best method for what you are cooking. there are all those different coal patterns for a reason.
plus understand that the vent openings control a lot also, so when you read about cooks here and guys mention the vent settings, take note.
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2015, 05:27:46 AM »
another point is sometimes guys will include stuff like how they used tin foil on the grates and stuff, that is to control air flow.
there is a lot of info around here. just reading about cooks and temperature experiment will be worth the time.
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

Texmech

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 04:23:48 AM »
I think a very important thing to mention is to keep notes of cooks, that way you can compare when you try different stuff until you figure out the best method for what you are cooking. there are all those different coal patterns for a reason.
plus understand that the vent openings control a lot also, so when you read about cooks here and guys mention the vent settings, take note.

I have a phone app that I enter all my BBQ cooks. After each cook if I think something needs tweaking I edit the previous recipe.  You would be surprised how many times you keep referring to it.
Tex