Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: DYI extra deep ash catcher ?  (Read 1618 times)

Jack Fate

• Smokey Joe
DYI extra deep ash catcher ?
« on: March 13, 2015, 10:22:10 AM »
Anyone find a pot or something that will work in place of the oem catcher . Speaking of the performer or gold 22"   Stock pot seems always full
Suppose I could just put a metal bucket under of a larger diameter.

Cheers

Troy

• Statesman
Re: DYI extra deep ash catcher ?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 10:37:29 AM »
Hi Jack, I ran into that issue when I first got into charcoal grilling. It seemed I was emptying that ash catcher ever other day and it pissed me off.

Then I realized that kingsford is the culprit. It produces such a ridiculous amount of ash!!
I originally switched to lump and it improved my cooking AND reduced the frequency of ash removal.

I'm now a coshell user. I can cook multiple times using the same chimney of charcoal, and I can go 10+ cooks without having to dump the ash catcher.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 11:08:31 AM by Troy »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 12:14:06 PM »
I don't aim to "hold" a lot of ash. Ash traps/absorbs moisture and you don't want the more moist air near your One-Touch hardware, so to speak.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

wrehfield

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 04:32:50 PM »
 agree with addicted to smoke. I empty the ash after every cook. It is not good for the hardware.
Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat.

Qreps

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 07:36:42 PM »
Thanks for the tip Troy I'll  look for coshell I'm not sure I've seen that product before.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 07:46:59 PM »
I wish the Coshell was available in Omaha

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 09:07:09 PM »
wet ash is definitely corrosive, so its important to keep it dry and get it out of the kettle.
I wouldn't worry too much about emptying the ash pan after every cook though.