Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Maple Ribs  (Read 1204 times)

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
Maple Ribs
« on: November 23, 2014, 11:31:36 AM »
I had heard of maple sugar before but had never used the stuff.  That was until a member here mentioned he had a bacon recipe that called for this but had never seen any.  That got me looking.  I have sprinkled this on bacon as it was nearing finishing in a pan...great way to Tex up bacon...but this is the first time on ribs.  I have some maple/chipotle bbq sauce I am gonna finish with as well.

The fella who made this up used amber syrup as his source.  He told me most makers use light or medium as it is cheaper.  He had been taught to use the dark stuff by someone in Quebec and claimed it is richer tasting as a result.  As you can see it is on the coarse side:

I made a rub out of garlic powder, onion powder, a couple different chili powders, some sweet/savoury rub 604 sent my way, paprika and maple sugar.  Here are the ribs after a 2 hour rest after rub:

It is raining and windy so I am on the front porch....Peach gets the call today and the 18.5 is my table:

I am using a 22.5 WSM charcoal ring in the bottom of the Kettle with my snake on the inside to keep the heat off of the back of Peach.  I have some pecan and bourbon barrel chunks on the outside of the charcoal ring.  Temp is a steady 300f at the lid.

I'll add pics when done.

Edit:

The Argentine Dogo on the couch:

This one's a bit of rescue - we got her at 8 months from the breeder.  Her family had declared her unmanageable and they had no time for such a high strung animal.  Some people should not try to own a dog.

2 of 3 rib sections sauced and almost done:

Done:

These went naked and took almost 6 hours.  I went too heavy on the maple sugar...a little too sweet.  It was good that I put in the chili powders as they offset the sweetness to a large degree.  Next time less maple sugar.  Smoke taste and texture on the ribs was good.  In total I used about 1 tablespoon of maple sugar for a whole rack of side ribs...I should have used half probably.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 05:12:23 PM by MrHoss »
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
Re: Maple Ribs
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 12:09:30 PM »
Sounds great!!
Can't wait to see the final results :)

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 02:18:33 PM »
Where's the finished product?  I bet it was delicious.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 02:55:15 PM »
Heck Yea Hoss - Looking good man!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

eccj

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 03:00:37 AM »
Good job Brotha!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 09:59:02 AM »
Those look grate !!!!

I've used the stuff a little before & yes, it is potent.....not like any other sweetening addition though.......a special item for sure..............
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 02:29:37 PM »
Looks great!!!