Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber performer prior 2000  (Read 1870 times)

kd2kk2

• Happy Cooker
Weber performer prior 2000
« on: July 31, 2014, 06:50:54 AM »
I am a proud owner of this since 1994. I am having issues with the propane start, it will light but will pulse and burn itself out. The LP tank is full and replaced the regulator last week. Flame itself is normal but is not a consistant burn. It will pulse badly and extinguishes itself.
Any ideas??

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
Re: Weber performer prior 2000
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 06:59:46 AM »
The burner tube may need to be cleaned. Sometimes spiders will foul it up.

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 07:27:06 AM »
I have the same issue with my performer.  Sometimes it works "OK", but most of the time it does exactly what you explained.  The flame pulses until I either shut off the gas, or it blows itself out.  Sometimes I can monkey with the valve on the tank and get it to work (opening it very slowly), but more times than not I get the same result.  I was about to replace the regulator, but if you already did that and it didn't fix the problem......then I guess I'm at a loss.  My burner tube is clear.
-Keith

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 07:46:04 AM »

I found this some time ago.....

A guy who actually knows what the hell goes on with this stuff:

"If there is no residual pressure in the hose and regulator, the needle valve stays in the shut position, and very little gas gets to your grill.'

Posts by OkeeDon

That little nugget is from the middle of one of his two posts on this page:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/related-topics/43349-gas-grill-propane-tank-2.html

I know it seems like a lot of reading thru shit, but if it's something that can be remedied without great expenditure, then woopie......

Also, what they're talking about is full on gassers, but I do believe the same principles apply.....

a buddy of mine had a large gas oven (caterer's rig, nice) up at a music festival a few years ago & we went thru this same stuff, I've gone thru the "re-set" dance w/ my little Camp Chef 2-burner also.... sputtering and/or low flow...........
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 08:16:19 AM »
Clean the burner tube and the tip of the propane orifice.. Little brass part that goes into the burner tube. Its held in with a "C" clip. A small screwdriver to get apart blow the tube out with a garden hose.. Let it all dry out and then reassemble. Maybe you got a bad regulator?
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 06:20:22 PM »
See reply in other thread...     ::)
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!