Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Peach-mango cod  (Read 908 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Peach-mango cod
« on: May 20, 2014, 05:08:37 PM »
You guys are one of my primary "recipe books." Somebody mentioned the other day (damn, I've already forgotten whom, MacEggs or ?) chipotle mango on cod. My brain ... became engaged.

I bought 1lb of cod fillet. I bought store-made (but "fresh") grocery store peach mango "medium" salsa (as we like to say ... "GE", i.e. "Good Enough") That was the fish' only seasoning, sorta.

Here's the setup. "Pepperazzi" (damn catchy name, ain't it?) added. "Pepperazzzi" is seemingly always from Peru but sold in many grocery stores here. Tiny, round red peppers, soaked in water, vinegar, sugar. OMG do I love them so in my morning egg. And frankly, I've YET to discover something they don't go well with. I think they go by different names ... look in your groceries' deli section. Given the paucity of ingredients I don't know why they *must* come from Peru, but that's a speculation for another day.

Fish + crinkle-cut carrots w/butter.

A better perspective. The carrot allotment wasn't quite that enormous!

a close-up ... about as close as my old phone could muster without becoming part of dinner, yo:

Oh, you're wondering about the small cast iron things? Small "serving dishes" from Lodge. A local lawn-and-garden place is clearancing out Lodge. "See you next week!" the nice lady said to me ... this was my second haul ... the 11"x15" grill (first haul) for the fish was first used on this cook.

Not to close this out on a sour note, but the fish stuck to the grill:

The CI grill I had wiped with grapeseed oil prior to cooking ... afterwards I scraped with a Scotch pad, sharp a knife,  ... I'm doing this wrong. I can't get all the food OUT of the nooks and crannies, HELP. Should I just go buy a packet of bacon and be done with it??

More info: Lid temp never rose above 250, the cook was indirect for the fish (direct for the mostly-frozen crinkle-cut carrots). I didn't attempt to flip the fish but did take a spatula to them at about 10 mins in and noted they were sticking. Total fish cook time was about 20 mins.

fish=good, "he said"
carrots= good, not overdone and with some crunch left to them

Sorry for the BLUE tint to everything .. my '92 Performer is NOT burgundy or maroon.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Peach-mango cod
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 05:12:41 PM »
This fed a "family of 4" but with the proviso of 2 of them being kids who don't really like fish, or veggies, and 2 adults who don't "need" a lot of meat. Family-of-4 who are larger/hungrier would have liked 2 full-size fillets, or 2lbs.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch