Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Indirect on a Smokey Joe Platinum?  (Read 2838 times)

saxart

• WKC Ranger
Indirect on a Smokey Joe Platinum?
« on: February 12, 2014, 02:51:21 AM »
I may have an opportunity to do some indirect cooking on the SJP this weekend, which would be a new trick for this old dog.   Any tricks or tips from those here who have done this before?   (I know airflow can be an issue on these kettles)

I'm thinking of putting charcoal basket next to one open vent, meat on the other side with lid vent above...   (Sound good?)
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Indirect on a Smokey Joe Platinum?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 03:08:20 AM »
You should be fine with your plan, Art. I think the airflow is only an issue if you are trying to maintain high heat. Are you going for a long cook/smoke or just something quick?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 06:38:07 PM »
Thanks PBE...

Yeah, we're probably only going to be looking for LOW-N-SLOW cooking.   Maybe I'll do an 'experiment cook' on it tomorrow night to see how it chugs along.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 09:46:06 PM »
 I couldn't find the original thread, but this diagram has helped many.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 10:09:18 PM by Duke »

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 03:15:21 AM »
Duke-
Thanks for posting that.   Did you make that diagram?

It's funny, I was thinking of doing the "third variation" as shown on the far RIGHT in that diagram with a twist.  I was thinking of piling the coals near an OPENED side vent, and putting the opened lid vent on the opposite side (above the meat) to draw the smoke and warm air across the meat, then up and out.

I'm guessing it's just "6-of one, half-a-dozen of the other"...   LOL   

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 06:14:18 AM »
Art, I too have heard people complaining about maintaining good temps with side vents, but I just haven't seen it.  I've done a lot of indirect cooking on my JJ (now that I think of it, I've only done a tiny bit of direct cooking on it), and it's always worked really well.  I simply take one of the old-fashioned wire-style baskets and put it at one of the non-vent sides of the kettle, line my food up on the opposite side, open all vents all the way, and it roasts up whatever I put in there in the 350 to 400 range.
One of the charcoal people.