Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Extreemly fine line to wood chip burn rate?  (Read 3186 times)

sunsanvil

• Smokey Joe
Extreemly fine line to wood chip burn rate?
« on: August 19, 2013, 11:04:20 AM »
I've been experimenting with wood chips, hickory specifically, and I'm finding that there is a pretty fine line in terms of getting the right burn rate.

First time I followed the directions of soaking them, and putting them on the coals.  That made so much sticky smoke I literally couldn't see the kettle!  I tried putting, literally, just a couple on at a time but that was basically the same thing, only drawn out.

Then I watched the Alton Brown smoke episode and learned that visible smoke is not what we are after anyway.

I've since been soaking them and putting them in a tin foil wrap.  Its working better, but even then I'm finding there is a very fine line:  I'll put them on the cooking grate above the coals...some time later I will suddenly be hit with super-sweet smelling hickory...but no visible smoke at all!  Lasts a while and then the stinky visible smoke gradually builds and I'll have to take the packet off the heat...it dies out...back on the heat and so on.

Is this at all in line with your experiences?

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: Extreemly fine line to wood chip burn rate?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 02:05:02 PM »
I am not a big fan of soaking the wood. I use chunks 99% of the time, and do not soak them.

Next time using the foil pack method (tightly packed), but do not soak the chips. Puncture a few holes in the foil pack.
The smoke should be better that way.  :)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Extreemly fine line to wood chip burn rate?
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 06:49:03 PM »
I don't soak my chips either. Just spread them out over the coals and blue smoke the whole time. I use chunks as well, just depends on what I have on hand at the time.

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 07:13:52 PM »
I don't use wood too often since my Wife is not a big fan of smoke if it is too strong, having said that there are a few things I use wood chips for ...like Jerk chicken or jerk pork . I do not soak the wood first and I use a moderate amount at the beginning of the cook only . Remember that the wood will smoke even if it is bone dry as long as the lid is on.....it will flame only when the lid is open/off.....in this case the saying"Lookin' ain't cookin' " is more like "Lookin' ain't smokin'". If you have an efficient hot fire ( even if it is low and slow it needs to burn clean ....dirty is when you have a raging fire that you try to force down to a lower temp) you just want enough wood to smoke your meat not send smoke signals to the next town. :o Just like people have the misconception that you need a roaring fire to cook on the grill, they also think that the entire neighborhood needs to be filled with smoke to BBQ. Although huge plumes of smoke look really cool, your results may not be what you were after.
If it needs to be Heated to be Eated, I can do it on my Weber!

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 03:38:09 AM »
I am not a big fan of soaking the wood. I use chunks 99% of the time, and do not soak them.

Next time using the foil pack method (tightly packed), but do not soak the chips. Puncture a few holes in the foil pack.
The smoke should be better that way.  :)

I run the same as this.  Wood Chunks, and while the last time few times I did soak, I didn't notice any difference so I probably won't be soaking any more.  Although I don't foil, I just add the chunks of wood to my snake along it.

edhead35

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 04:12:18 AM »
I use chunks and do not soak them. No need to if you keep the lid on IMO

Kilted_Griller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 02:24:23 PM »
We use chunks, as well, without soaking. But hickory and mesquite give my lovely bride serious indegestion, so we use pecan, cherry, and applewood. We have also bought some of the old grape vines form some few of the wineries here in Temecula we are waiting for them to season.
"The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook"
   ~Julia Child

harlanr3

• Smokey Joe
    • grill sergeants
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 04:49:47 PM »
this will not sound right but here goes..what about size some are fine like saw dust others are dam near fire wood.
weber E 330,1999 blk weber kettle,80's smokey joe
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Grill-Sergeants/182784698512882?ref=hl

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 05:24:45 PM »
 There's chip, like Chasing Smoke's example.....

There's shread, like I'll use for certain kinds of cooks......

There's LOGS, like Mark (MacEggs ) uses for pizza......

And, your basic chunks, like a lot of folks use in a variety of ways, kettle, WSM, UDS......in snakes or buried in Jim Minion method burns.....

I don't have any pics of chips in foil packets, as I'll just throw them on like Chasing Smoke's way of doing it, or maybe just a handful at a time.......
The packets will slow down the burn some but, for me, just tossing some on will get enough of the flavor going  if it's something like meatloaf, a fattie, certain chicken cookups, fish, anything where a somewhat lighter flavor is desired.......

Pork butt, brisket, or clod gets jackhammered with a bunch of chunks...... 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 11:55:42 PM »
if i have to use chips, i soak them and put them in a foil pack.
I've found that several small packs work better then a single big one - the big ones smolder inconsistently, probably due to the airspace created once some of the chips burn up. I'm not completely sure though.

I strongly prefer chunks.
I rarely soak chunks, but I will if they're old or too dry.

Chips are soaked to make them not burn up immediately.
Chunks are soaked to increase the moisture level - which changes the smoke.

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 06:00:42 AM »
Anyone have any good internet sources for affordable wood chunks?  Out where I'm at all anyone carries is the standard stuff.  Pretty much just hickory and mesquite, it's a super lucky day when I can find Apple, or Cherry in chunk form.   I'd love to get some Pecan, Maple, or Grape chunks, but it just seems like a no go in the area.  Looking online all I've been able to find are people wanting to sell it by the 20+lb which is WAY more than I would need.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 07:12:52 AM »
Fruitawoods is my fav.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2