Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pork Butt - first attempt, small, kinda dry - any help?  (Read 1525 times)

ckay

• Happy Cooker
Pork Butt - first attempt, small, kinda dry - any help?
« on: December 26, 2019, 10:09:00 PM »
Hello,

Been getting into the kettle cooking again and first time I've done a Pork Butt. Tried a really small one (2.7 pounds).

I got it to the right temperature 90c  (194 Fahrenheit) but it was a bit dry and it didn't pull apart well (bone was still firmly stuck in the meat).

I had a little water in there (1 cup in a drip pan), I did the "Snake Method" for coals and I put apple cider vinegar on it 3 times during the cook.

Also wrapped it in tin foil for the last hour (at 81c *177 Fahrenheit).

Any tips what I could do to make it more tender and less dry?

attached pics are meat temp and kettle temp

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
Re: Pork Butt - first attempt, small, kinda dry - any help?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 12:21:37 AM »
So just a shot in the dark, but maybe put the shoulder in a pan with some liquid of your choice. Only other thing is that may be too small of a butt to cook for that long. I don’t know if it had fat on it, or if you trimmed it off. If the bone didn’t pull out easily, that’s usually a sign of not done.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 04:27:57 AM »
There’s no “right temp” for these kinds of cooks. If the bone doesn’t come out with ease then it needs more time.  Cool part is, you get to try again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2019, 05:45:33 AM »
Try a dry salt brine for 24 hours first.  Salt with kosher salt, not too heavy and put the salted roast in a ziplock freezer bag and sit in the fridge 24 hours or overnight works too.  About 1/2 tsp per pound of salt works for me.  On cook day put your rub of choice on (low salt recommended since you already have salt) and cook low and slow at 225F to an internal temp of 175F.  Increase grill temp to 275F and double wrap with foil and cook to 205F.  Remove roast from grill leaving foil wrap in place and wrap in two towels (I use clean bath towels) and put the roast in a cooler (no ice of course) and let it rest for two hours.  Pull with a couple of forks or gloved hands.  It will fall apart and be super juicy IME.  Enjoy!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 05:47:35 AM by bamakettles »

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2019, 05:48:01 AM »
Try a dry salt brine for 24 hours first.  Salt with kosher salt, not too heavy and put the salted roast in a ziplock freezer bag and sit in the fridge 24 hours or overnight works too.  About 1/2 tsp per pound of salt works for me.  On cook day put your rub of choice on (low salt recommended since you already have salt) and cook low and slow at 225F to an internal temp of 175F.  Increase grill temp to 275F and double wrap with foil and cook to 205F internal temp.  Remove roast from grill leaving foil wrap in place and wrap in two towels (I use clean bath towels) and put the roast in a cooler (no ice of course) and let it rest for two hours.  Pull with a couple of forks or gloved hands.  It will fall apart and be super juicy IME.  Enjoy!

Sorry, tried to modify and hit quote...... Increase grill temp to 275 at foil wrap time...
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 05:49:55 AM by bamakettles »

Transit98

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 05:34:35 AM »
What Bamakettles said - But really just get a bigger piece of meat - cook it in a pan for 1.5 a 2 hours. Cover it. Cook another 1/2 depending on size. Let rest while covered. Have fun, but understand small pieces of meat slow and low are not ideal.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2019, 06:01:16 AM »

Hello,

Been getting into the kettle cooking again and first time I've done a Pork Butt. Tried a really small one (2.7 pounds).

I got it to the right temperature 90c  (194 Fahrenheit) but it was a bit dry and it didn't pull apart well (bone was still firmly stuck in the meat).

I had a little water in there (1 cup in a drip pan), I did the "Snake Method" for coals and I put apple cider vinegar on it 3 times during the cook.

Also wrapped it in tin foil for the last hour (at 81c *177 Fahrenheit).

Any tips what I could do to make it more tender and less dry?

attached pics are meat temp and kettle temp

Get one that is a little bigger. Foil around 150-160 or when you get your desired color.

Pork butt/shoulder will still slice at 195. 200-205 is where you should be aiming. There is no perfect temp. I’ve had them done at 199 and at 210. Check the feel with a probe.

Once you pull it, vent it or the steam will keep cooking and dry it out. I usually keep my pork in larger chunks until ready to serve (even when vac sealing/freezing). Use a fat separator to keep the juice that’s in the foil to add back when you actually “shred and serve.”

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Pork Butt - first attempt, small, kinda dry - any help?
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2019, 06:38:17 AM »
Plus one for what mike in Roseville said.

I remember when I started cooking them before the time of the internet. I had tough ones dry ones and everything in between.

The main thing is practice. Now it’s pretty much automatic. I personally don’t use any injection or dry or wet brines. I do defat and reserve the juice contained in the wrap. That’s key imo.

The good thing about pork butt is you can cheat if it’s dry. Toss it in a slow cooker and add apple juice or bbq sauce or my favorite is a finishing sauce. Cider vinegar, brown sugar, Tony’s. 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup per butt is all you need. Anymore than that and it will be too strong of vinegar. Good thing is almost nobody can tell you’ve added anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 06:42:58 AM by HoosierKettle »

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2019, 01:42:18 PM »
If the bone was still stuck, it wasn't cooked long enough.

ckay

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2019, 02:45:55 PM »
Awesome recommendations in here - thanks guys - going to get a bigger one and try again for New Years Eve. I think i may have figured another issue is that I put my kettle temperature probe to low down (heat rises - duh) so I might have been cooking it higher than I thought.

- Going to try with some more liquid in there
- get a bigger one (was always the plan, gotta feed a bunch of people)
- salt brine idea sounds interesting

Let you know how the next cook goes

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2019, 04:33:26 PM »
Awesome recommendations in here - thanks guys - going to get a bigger one and try again for New Years Eve. I think i may have figured another issue is that I put my kettle temperature probe to low down (heat rises - duh) so I might have been cooking it higher than I thought.

All good. But still, if the bone don't slide out, it aint done.

KettleMaster

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2019, 05:33:28 PM »
Been through that before...just cook longer so the bone slides out....i usually aim for 203F but i have had them pull apart less then that....keep practising you will see what works

Sent from my SM-G970W using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ckay

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2019, 12:05:34 PM »

All good. But still, if the bone don't slide out, it aint done.

Gotcha!