Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Which grill thermometer?  (Read 849 times)

dogman

• WKC Brave
Which grill thermometer?
« on: June 23, 2019, 09:32:08 AM »
I just got a thermapen for cooking but I'm looking for a grill thermometer.

Thermapen has a few options and they are not cheap. The Weber igrill models are available here and they're also expensive.

Any comments on which ones are worth looking at? My main concern is what the temperature is on the cooking surface and I kinda didn't like it that the igrill only goes up to 300C.

Thanks
Beer! It's what's for dinner...

kaan

• Smokey Joe

dogman

• WKC Brave

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
Re: Which grill thermometer?
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 11:24:03 AM »
I grabbed a Thermopro TP-08 last year for cheaaapppp and really like it. High and low temp alarms, 2 probes and the range is great. There's one on Amazon for $35.00 used like-new. When I've bought "used like-new" off Amazon before, the product is basically new, like someone opened the box, looked it over, boxed it back up and returned.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B014DAVHSQ

The Thermapen is life changing.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 11:37:52 AM by AZ Monsoon »

dogman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 12:45:11 PM »
Thanks @AZ Monsoon I saw a review of this one today. Looks good!

CurtP

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 03:04:29 PM »
I have 2 different ones.  My newest is a CyberQ from BBQ Guru that I use with the Summit.  It's a temperature controller, but I use the probes even when I'm not using the fan.  I like that I can track temps online and record the cooking session.  I don't like that requires mains power. 

My other one is a ThermoWorks TW8060.  It's discontinued, replaced by the ThermaQ.  Well built and rugged and I prefer the industrial K-type probes over the headphone plugs most other meters use.  Great selection of probes available and I have one that is rated to 1204°C.  I don't regret spending the money on it.  I use it with my gasser and kettles.  I've been thinking about ordering a ThermaQ WiFi version to replace it, but I bring myself to spend the money when the old one still works.  It's also available with Bluetooth and no wireless versions.

JPotter

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 03:13:49 PM »
If I were in the market for one I'd get thermoworks Smoke

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

hemi_charger

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2019, 03:31:35 PM »
I seconed the smoke I have had it for over a year it is great.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2019, 06:33:17 PM »
I haven't bought one yet, but I think the Thermoworks Smoke or Signals would work well.  If you buy a red, white, or blue Smoke I think they are 20% off really soon (today might be the last day).  If you get their newsletter you will frequently find either 15% off on a flash sale or site wide sale.  I really think the Smoke is probably the best all around for the price.  Signals would be great, but that $200ish price tag is harsh.  However, you can use 3 meat probes with 1 grill probe with it hooking up to wifi to push notifications to your phone.  So in theory you could go run errands while doing a smoke and know if you need to get home ASAP or not.
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

Sprinkler76

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2019, 06:40:14 PM »
I have a Maverick that is 6 years old and still ticking. The signal range and battery life are awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Partagas

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2019, 03:52:23 AM »
Thermopro TP08S is a great wireless thermometer. It is as accurate as my thermapen, comes with a long probe for food and a crate probe with clip. Register the product and you get 3 years   warranty. One caveat is that it is not waterproof. But i simply stick the transmitter in a ziplock bag on rainy days.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

dogman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2019, 09:38:58 AM »
Thank you guys for the help! Based on the thermapen's reputation I am considering what options they have for grill thermometers. Unfortunately the deal @ReanimatedRobot mentioned is not offered on the European site. I will need something somewhat waterproof because the weather here is really not great and kinda unpredictable. If I am lucky I will be smoking a lot this winter in crappy weather :D

I will probably get a Smoke actually to use in an oven... I live and work in two different countries and when I am home I cook a lot of brisket in the oven, we have no possible place for a grill. We got a new oven and it seems really good but the temperature knob is waaay off. I'm tired of guessing so it seems like the Smoke would be perfect for long brisket cooks.

I was looking at the Thermaq and the ones with BT or wifi but I don't get how or where you're supposed to hang the sending unit. What are you guys doing with yours? I got a dutch oven table but it will probably be too hot to put a plastic case on and I would like not to have to have a table there just for that. If it has a clip on the back I could duct-tape it to my balcony railing..

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2019, 01:57:52 AM »
I have the Smoke and am very happy with it. I forgot to protect on an overnight cook once. Next morning it was covered with a half inch of wet snow. No problems.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers