Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Trouble in Paradise = Master Touch Premium  (Read 2337 times)

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
Trouble in Paradise = Master Touch Premium
« on: April 09, 2019, 12:16:37 AM »
It’s the same story as when a NEW iPhone or Samsung when it first comes out. Even though the product goes to bata testing and finally goes to production... some problems rear their ugly heads only AFTER it’s in the consumers hands.
Unfortunately that story has just become the truth for our beloved Weber grills here in Europe with the 2019 release of the NEW Master Touch Premium E-5770 & E-5775 grills with the much talked about lid hinge.
Yes the new grill has a lot of new features that make it cool and easy to use but it’s main new twist on the basic kettle design is the hinged and removable lid and that right there is what is rearing it’s ugly head and causing so many problems.
Because of some design fault or change in supplier for the springs the lids on these grills will not close good, if at all! I’m not being picky here but when I mean they won’t close... I am talking about a lid that will even come UP 1/4-1/2” after you close it! Even with any wind or breeze the lid will float up even more and giving you major run away temps and leaking smoke like a house fire!
There is hope! By changing the hinge around it will now close with POSITIVE pressure giving a seal on the lid that will allow normal smoking temps and put that smile back on your face.
Check out my YouTube channel at : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCu_05eWBfPYlJ6X8jQ6B5w?sub_confirmation=1

Hinge Hack Weber Master Touch Premium 2019  E-5775 & E-5770 https://youtu.be/nc80vZ8cVNg
Here is a video I did to show what it takes to fix this problem. Please be careful if you try this fix as it takes more mechanical ability than the average Big Box employee that assembles grills for displays.
I know what you might be thinking... if you are in the states and this is a Euro only grill.. why would I care? I think Europe is the Bata tester land and we get to work out the bugs on the new product... and there are plenty of euro kettle club members that might need to know about this fix.
With any luck all of the hinge problems will be addressed before it goes on sale in the states and CAN.
After I figured out what was causing the lid to float up and how to fix it my grill works like a champ and I am really happy with it!
With some luck this first year production of the E-5770 & E-5775 Master Touch Premium with this style hinge might turn out to be the super rare white elephant for the collectors in the next few years!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 05:39:42 AM by vwengguy »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Trouble in Paradise = Master Touch Premium
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 02:43:00 AM »
Very clever of you. That will surely help everyone who has that grill.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 02:45:51 AM »
Interesting, the other flaw that I see is the placement of the vent.  if there is a stationary lid with a hinge in my opinion the vent should be on top like the one touch platinum.  The one thing that I really want out of that grill is the defuser,  I really like that concept.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 02:51:14 AM »
That was also my first thought about the lid vent.. should have been like the One Touch Platinum Grill.
One thing I did come across .. “my problem and not the grill” .. is that I keep reaching to the middle of the lid to grab the handle to close it [emoji33]
First 8-10 times when you feel your fingers touch hot [emoji91] metal you would think you learned... not ! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 05:56:48 AM »
I am not a fan of the hinged lid idea. I like the old style "lift and remove" method. It's out of the way, and you can rotate it to where ever you want the lid vent. I think Weber overthunk this one.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 10:05:57 AM »
I am not a fan of the hinged lid idea. I like the old style "lift and remove" method. It's out of the way, and you can rotate it to where ever you want the lid vent. I think Weber overthunk this one.

Agreed
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 08:35:28 AM »
Cool fix!

So, while we wait years, and maybe forever, for these to be sold here, we can add a WSM charcoal ring and a pizza stone or something and make our own.
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

Marzipan

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 09:21:24 AM »
I'm making a bbq bench for my Jumbo Joe...will be 5ft wide, so more than enough space to drop the lid there and not worry about it.

the link to the solution didn't work for me, but wouldn't adding a counter weight help close it tight?
Power Corrupts, But Absolute Power Is Kinda Cool!