Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Restoration help please  (Read 640 times)

Chetter

• Happy Cooker
Restoration help please
« on: April 19, 2019, 12:26:24 PM »
I picked up a '96 Master Touch in decent condition. After a good cleaning, it looks great but I have a few concerns. There are a couple places that are missing the porcelain enamel. In the interior of the bowl where any hardware meets the body. The legs and front handle being the worst. Is there anything I can/should do to help preserve? On the exterior of the lid at the handle, the porcelain is thin/ missing. There are also a couple of dents along the lids lip that need attention. These can be seen from the exterior and I'd like to at least cover them up and keep them from getting worse. It's missing the end cap on the third leg. Can I purchase this or is there a good substitute? Lastly, the handles are crap. I'd like to make my own but I can't get accurate measurements, does anyone know them? These are the only issues, so, not bad really.  I'm sure some, if not all, of the answers can be found in this forum. If you know where, please link me to them. Thanks in advance for your help.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jan M.

• WKC Brave
    • Mogschrauber
Restoration help please
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 12:46:31 PM »
Hey,

For the rim:
I would grind the rust off an use heat resistant color.
Apply the color with a small brush, don’t spray.

The inside of the bowl:
You could use heat resistant color too or apply vegetable oil on the spots.

Lid handle:
I would just use vegetable oil.

Here is my black MT rescue:
https://mogschrauber.de/tlc-project-mastertouch-gen-1/

R-R-R
Jan

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 12:50:17 PM by Jan M. »
Best regards,
Jan

Cellar2ful

Re: Restoration help please
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 12:55:41 PM »

Using #0000 steel wool you can remove all the rust, including around the lid handle.  Once all the rust is removed and there is bare metal, I apply a little olive oil to the metal using a Q-tip.  Once you use the kettle, the oil cures into the metal like a cast iron pan.  It helps prevent rust from returning.  The leg caps can be purchase at Ace Hardware.  The part number is #56920.

Here is a link for them.  If your local Ace does not stock them, they will ship them to your store free of charge.

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/home-and-decor/indoor-furniture/protective-furniture-pads/56920
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Chetter

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 01:41:02 PM »
Awesome!  Thanks for the quick replies. Another thing I forgot to mention, the lid rest appears to be out of shape. About how far should it be from the bowl? I think it had been dropped in the past.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 08:43:42 PM »
I found these drawings, Idk for sure if they are accurate, I havent looked at them yet.

I guess they are gif format and I can't post them, or screenshots from my phone. Let me see of I can figure out where I found them

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 08:45:26 PM »
Guess it worked