Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Turkey breast for Christmas.  (Read 536 times)

dbhost

• WKC Brave
    • Daves Workshop Youtube page.
Turkey breast for Christmas.
« on: December 26, 2018, 07:44:46 AM »
Hey folks I know it's been a while since I've been on this forum. I've been busy with a lot of home of improvement and remodeling.

I did not have the opportunity to smoke the Turkey for Thanksgiving as my wife decided to go buy the smoked Turkey from a local smokehouse which we all agreed was a massive disappointment.

Don't get me wrong we picked the best smokehouse in Houston metro that we love which was Pappas barbecue on I 45 at 16 by Gulfgate this bird was simply not up to their typically high standards.

For Christmas I was tasked with smoking a Turkey breast since we have it and we did not want a whole Turkey it's just the Wife and I.

So we started with a local organic Turkey breast and injected it with Tony Casheries Creole butter and let that sit in the fridge for 24 hours covered.

When I was ready for smoking ir up I simply did an offset with chicken broth in the catch 0an.

was using a HEB mesquite charcoal and chunk mesquite smoking wood.

I had to pretty much shut all of the vents to keep the temperatures under 275. Yes it's still hot here in Southeast Texas.

Coming off the grill the breast was absolutely perfect and completely delicious.
3 Kettles. 1998 Daisy Wheel 22.5, 2010 Smokey Joe Silver 14, 2018 Jumbo Joe Premium 22.5.

cajunrph

• Smokey Joe
Re: Turkey breast for Christmas.
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 12:24:19 PM »
I used some HEB mesquite briquettes as well in my Christmas day smoke. Everyone loved the birds.

Surprised Pappas wasn't up to par considering their reputation.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

dbhost

• WKC Brave
    • Daves Workshop Youtube page.
Re: Turkey breast for Christmas.
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 08:54:32 AM »
We were beyond shocked. Thanksgiving was the first disappointment from the Gulfgate Pappas, ever... The one by Bay Area has never been great, but we always loved Gulfgate. The birds looked like they were done offsite and trucked in I am almost positive they didn't have their usual pitmaster doing his thing...

I need to snatch up a bunch of that Tony Cacheries Creole Butter injectible marinade before it goes off the store shelves until next year. I have 4 birds in my freezer right now...
3 Kettles. 1998 Daisy Wheel 22.5, 2010 Smokey Joe Silver 14, 2018 Jumbo Joe Premium 22.5.