Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Help me add a thermometer to my kettle  (Read 1135 times)

Gab

• Happy Cooker
Help me add a thermometer to my kettle
« on: December 04, 2018, 03:51:54 PM »
Hi Guys,

I would like to add a thermometer to my kettle. I`ve seen a few tutorial and it seems pretty straight forward.
I`ve purchased my kettle a few years ago at a discounted price as it had a dint on the lid.
I would like to drill the hole for the thermometer on that dint but I fear it might be a bit low and will not get an accurate reading of the temperature.
Please check it out the pictures, I would love to hear your thoughts.

Thank you
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 03:54:59 PM by Gab »

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
Re: Help me add a thermometer to my kettle
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 06:20:21 PM »
   It will give you an accurate reading of what the temp is at the top of the lid. I mainly use mine to make sure the kettle isn't  running to hot or cold. Placement is subjective and personal. Since its yours go for it, myself I wouldn't buy the kettle from you if it wasn't in the factory spot. Nice blue by the way.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 07:29:52 PM »
@Gab, leave the dent, don’t drill hole, get a remote thermo, a dual probe, that way you can monitor grill temp and food temp, lid thermos are notoriously wrong, I would never go by one.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 02:13:08 AM »
I wouldn’t install one. I’d drop a thermo in the lid vent when you need one.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 02:17:48 AM by HoosierKettle »

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 03:57:09 AM »
   Lid thermos are not notoriously wrong, you are getting the temp that is at the top of the lid which is going to be hotter than at the food grate. If you know this difference then you know what to shoot for with the lid thermo.
   Dropping a remote thermo in the lid is ok if you don't have to add charcoal or rotate the meat. Lid thermo and an instant read thermo is the minimum you need. After cooking the same protein for the third time you know when you're getting close to done.
   Case in point this past thanksgiving turkey was the first time I butterflied a turkey. Using weber charcoal holders in a 22" made things very tight, every thirty mins I added charcoal and rotated the bird to prevent burning. Now if I had a remote thermo in the turkey or thru the lid that presents more problems to deal with. After 2 1/2 hrs I started checking  with the instant read, the turkey came out pretty good.

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 04:13:49 AM »
   One last thing, using a daisy wheel, food cooks quicker than in a one touch. Just something to keep in your data bank.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 04:37:31 AM »
I was talking about dropping the only Weber thermo worth a damn in the vent. The old ones are very accurate and easy to remove to add coal.  New Weber thermos are total garbage after a year or 2.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 04:42:04 AM »
The built in Weber thermo reads 50-75 COOLER then grate temp as have all of my modern Weber thermos after awhile.

And I have checked this against digital thermos placed at grate. Oddly enough the thermo dropped in the vent reads very close to grate temp.

This has been my experience.  Mileage will vary I assume.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 06:14:10 AM by HoosierKettle »

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2018, 03:40:35 PM »
Since you are asking where to put the thermo.  My 2 cents.  I would go 90 or 180 deg. to the lid vent location and closer to the stock height for aesthetics. I would rather have that small dent then awkwardly placed thermo.   How high or low on the lid is your choice, but contrary to your belief..... lower will give more accurate food grate temp.( I think ).  No matter where you place it, thermo temp does not equal to food grate temp., but is nice to have one.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 12:27:34 PM »
IMO, pop the dent from underneath, or leave it as is. Use a remote thermometer to check your temps.