Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Sub $100 wireless thermometer  (Read 1448 times)

topheratl

• Smokey Joe
Sub $100 wireless thermometer
« on: July 22, 2018, 03:08:05 PM »
I know this has been asked before but I can’t find the thread so asking again (hope that is ok)

I have a 22” kettle and want to do some lower / slower cooks and want a wireless thermometer and would love to not spend over $100.

Thanks in advance for the knowledge

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Bo31047

• Happy Cooker
Re: Sub $100 wireless thermometer
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 05:18:58 PM »
Thermapen   Best instant read meat thermometer out there

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 03:14:59 AM »
I think the Javelin Pro is every bit as good as the Thermapen and much cheaper.
Lavatools Javelin PRO Duo Ambidextrous Backlit Instant Read Digital Meat Thermometer (Chipotle)
Read the reviews here-
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F59K0KA?ie=UTF8&tag=gmap-20&camp=1789&linkCode=xm2&creativeASIN=B01F59K0KA
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 03:15:13 AM »
Look for Maverick ET 732 or 733 or Grill Eye. All of them far below $100

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 03:35:21 AM »
Look for Maverick ET 732 or 733 or Grill Eye. All of them far below $100

I was thrown off, you weren't looking for an instant read thermometer, you wanted a wireless.  Agree with the Maverick 732.  I use mine weekly for at least 3 years.  Very reliable.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 03:44:07 AM »
Even though you weren’t asking about an instant read, definitely get one of those if you don’t have one.  They are an invaluable tool for cooking.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

baglorious

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 05:04:11 AM »
Thermoworks is a great manufacturer... they make the thermopen (which is a must, though the recommendation for the javelin might be great as well).

Thermoworks makes this:     https://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke          ...and it is currently on sale.  I find it appealing because it has higher grade probes.  If I didn't already have a decent wireless thermometer, I'd buy the Thermoworks smoke.

I've got one of these (cheaper than the Maverick), which i've been fairly happy with, and which is popular as well:  https://www.amazon.com/ThermoPro-TP-08-Wireless-Thermometer-Grilling/dp/B014DAVHSQ

The Maverick ET732 is probably regarded (among the forums) as "all you need" and a really good value.  Very popular:
https://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Redi-Chek-Wireless-Thermometer-Limited/dp/B01FEKGB9Y/ref=sr_1_4?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1532350282&sr=1-4&keywords=maverick+et

And... I also recently saw this... a "fancier" maverick that is "optimized" by the folks at Adrenaline BBQ.   Intriguing!
https://abcbarbecue.com/product/xr-50/

Adrenaline also sells the standard Maverick ET-732.

If you're willing to spend closer to $100... I'd probably go with the fancy Maverick XR-50 from Adrenaline, or the Thermoworks smoke.  I'd be tempted on the smoke because of the higher quality probes.

And NO MATTER WHAT YOU BUY... read up on probe care and maintenance.  I was clueless on it for some time (never bothered to read up), and kept having probe failures... leading to inaccurate readings and frustration.  A few tips here: 
(1) Don't let the probes or wires go directly over the coals.  Most of them can't tolerate 'direct heat' (i.e., the 500+ range).  Make sure your probes are routed on the indirect heat side only.  Easy to keep your 'kettle temp' probe out of harms way.  For the 'internal meat temp' probe... just take care to make sure your cable is elevated a bit, to the extent it ever needs to be on the direct head side somewhat.
(2) Here's the one I didn't know - DON'T IMMERSE YOUR PROBES!  Apparently the joint between the probe and cable is quite fragile... and if you get water in there, you'll have immediate issues.  Once I learned that, I stopped having probe issues!  I don't even really use water to clean mine anymore... I just kinda wipe my internal probe clean... occasionally scrub it with damp scotch brite.  I don't put any water anywhere near the joint. 

The probes aren't THAT fragile... but I treat mine gently, and follow those rules, and don't have issues anymore.  I was getting frustrated before I knew how to care for them, as I was having problem after problem.  Now my cheapo thermometer is fine.

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 05:26:35 AM »
I fully agree that thermapen is one of the best things you can get in terms of instant reading thermo. This is actually an UK made product (company called ETI  from West Sussex, UK). I'm Europe based but these thermos are here as expensive as in the States. Once I've found a clearance on eBay. ETI was selling it directly for less than 50% of the original price (approx. $36). I was really happy to get it for such price. However, my happiness didn't last long. I received it very quickly but there was one small issue. The box was saying something like "not for US export" and I knew directly that the thermo is reading only C and not F. As that was bought on clearance there was no chance to return it. Shortly after I had luck to buy Weber snap check for the same amount of money. Besides the fact that you can switch between C and F, it's working even faster than thermapen (at least this is my personal feeling).

topheratl

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 11:57:01 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback. I think I am going to go with the Maveric XR-50 I like that it has more than 2 probes.

@baglorious Thanks for the tips on not messing up, the probes I would have never thought to not just dunk them in water

Shanks Kop

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 12:26:04 PM »
I've got the smoke the probes and unit are visibly higher quality

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2018, 09:22:34 AM »
I recently bought one of these from AdrenelineBBQ (makers of the Slow n' Sear).  It's made by Maverick and you get 4 probes instead of two.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2018, 09:23:18 AM »
Oops, double post.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Chuck Brichta

• Smokey Joe
Sub $100 wireless thermometer
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2018, 11:53:28 AM »
I know this has been asked before but I can’t find the thread so asking again (hope that is ok)

I have a 22” kettle and want to do some lower / slower cooks and want a wireless thermometer and would love to not spend over $100.

Thanks in advance for the knowledge

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club I love the amaeATEzr
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 11:58:25 AM by Chuck Brichta »

Mx5

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2018, 06:04:47 AM »
I have the smoke also and am very happy.  Easy to use and read.   I have had several and this is the best so far
Summit charcoal, Red limited 22,lime green Smokey joe,Simpson’s Smokey joe

topheratl

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2018, 06:55:56 AM »
Hey all, I just got my Maverick XR50 and going to use it on my first cook today. Thanks for all the info and feedback!!

One more question. Do you all just run the probes in and set the lid on them? Love some tips. Thanks in advance