Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cast grill insert  (Read 880 times)

Mrnomad

• Smokey Joe
Cast grill insert
« on: August 29, 2018, 07:40:13 AM »
i picked up a blue SSP that came with a cast iron grill inisde a modified stainless grate. I tossed the whole affair due to extensive rust/corrosion thinking it was something the previous owner had created. I also credited (wrongly?) this with the enamel popping off on the kettle.  Now I came across this same insert in a CL ad. Any info on this grill? Years, models etc.?
Thanks.
11 kettles, 2 WSMs, and 1 lonely gas grill!

db130

• Smokey Joe
Re: Cast grill insert
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 07:46:22 AM »
I believe that (grate+insert) was an optional Weber accessory that has been discontinued. You really chucked the whole thing, even the stainless part?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 07:49:05 AM by db130 »
Copper Premium, 2009 22", 2008 18", 1999 Black SSP

Mrnomad

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 07:53:06 AM »
Kicking my self for tossing it!
11 kettles, 2 WSMs, and 1 lonely gas grill!

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 08:12:08 AM »
According to other posts on here, if you had kept the stainless part of the grate, Weber still makes a cast part (or at least they are still available) for one of the gassers that would have fit in the stainless grate.
regards,
Hal

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
Cast grill insert
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 08:15:38 AM »
That’s the other style of the griddle kit! The grate kit was sold up into the 2007 year and it was combo’ed with a griddle plate or the giant Sear Grate that was from a gen 1 genesis grill.
The griddle set is more popular but every once in a while you can find the Sear Grate set.
Sucks that you chucked it :-(
As far as I know the grate part is just standard chrome plated and not SS.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 01:15:15 PM »
I've always thought I'd enjoy getting my hands on one of those!
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 02:51:33 AM »
According to other posts on here, if you had kept the stainless part of the grate, Weber still makes a cast part (or at least they are still available) for one of the gassers that would have fit in the stainless grate.

Older Genesis CI and Porcelain coated CI grates fit the rectangular inserts. I've got an original that came with my SSP, and an extra BNIB grid holder. Apparently Lodge has a reversible CI flat and ridged skillet that fits. FWIW the grid holders are not stainless.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 03:24:06 AM »
I have an unused one of those with the Cast Iron grate insert. but not the Griddle. I’m pretty sure the grate is coated steel, not SS.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app