Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Still Having Trouble Getting 22" Performer Hot Enough  (Read 1119 times)

MtView

• Smokey Joe
Still Having Trouble Getting 22" Performer Hot Enough
« on: July 03, 2018, 05:06:52 PM »
This makes no sense.  I have a new 22" Performer I got on Father's Day and I'm having trouble getting the grill hot enough.

I put 70 fully lit coals in a SNS.  Top and bottom vents wide open and the grate temp only got as high as 310.  When I put the bottom vent at 1/4, the top at 1/3, the temp dropped like a rock.  I had the grate thermometer (a Smoke) in the bottom right hand corner (so to speak).

Even the dome thermometer that was right above the coals only got up to the low 400 range.  The heat didn't last long enough to indirect BONELESS thighs and breasts.  It didn't even heat up above 310 (vents wide open) when I added an additional 1/2 basket of lit coals.  Not only could I not finish the cook and tossed the chicken, it wasn't hot enough to grill vegetables.  At that point, stick a fork in ME, I was done.

It was about 90 degrees out with a moderate breeze.

I know my dome is 1/2" larger than the kettle going one way and Weber is sending me a new lid, but I would think if too much air was coming in the grill would at least get very hot for a brief amount of time.

Equipment and gizmos aside, wouldn't just throwing 70 pieces of lit charcoal in the grill have brought the temp up above 310?  Could this be a problem with the charcoal (a new bag Kingsford original)?

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Still Having Trouble Getting 22" Performer Hot Enough
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 02:33:59 AM »
I'm wondering if maybe your coals got wet or absorbed some moisture somehow, your grill should have been pretty hot especially with a leaky lid. your handle is MTView, what is your elevation?
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 02:35:46 AM »
Are you using a chimney to start the coal?  I would start with a full chimney of coal. Place a lighter cube or newspaper under the chimney to start. When flames start to peak through the coal at the top of chimney, dump them in the grill.

Do not wait for all of the coals to be white hot while in the chimney. Half will be spent at that point.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 02:38:52 AM by HoosierKettle »

MtView

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 02:53:55 AM »
I'm wondering if maybe your coals got wet or absorbed some moisture somehow, your grill should have been pretty hot especially with a leaky lid. your handle is MTView, what is your elevation?

I'm only at 1200 feet.

MtView

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 02:55:59 AM »
Are you using a chimney to start the coal?  I would start with a full chimney of coal. Place a lighter cube or newspaper under the chimney to start. When flames start to peak through the coal at the top of chimney, dump them in the grill.

Do not wait for all of the coals to be white hot while in the chimney. Half will be spent at that point.

I'm using a Weber chimney to start the coals.  After 15 - 20 minutes, the bottoms of the top coals are white.  Is that too long to wait before dumping them?

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 03:12:49 AM »

I'm using a Weber chimney to start the coals.  After 15 - 20 minutes, the bottoms of the top coals are white.  Is that too long to wait before dumping them?
I don't wait that long, when I see some dancing fire out the top I dump. waiting for the top to be white you've spent the bottom 1/4 of coals already
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2018, 03:13:38 AM »
Just as @HoosierKettle stated

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2018, 03:26:14 AM »
I almost always leave the top vent wide open. Airflow is key for hi temps, so don't be quick to close down the bottom vent either. You can also do what they do at the Weber Grill: crack the lid a bit to bring in even more air. The lid bale is designed to do just that, just push it back a bit and it will stay. A 1" opening will crank things up nicely. Sounds like you tried everything else, so I'm not sure why you had issues, but I can guarantee next time you try to keep temps down the grill will spike to 600.
Retired

Joshua_423

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2018, 03:52:15 AM »
I have a performer and I used a chimney starter. I do about 3/4 full in the chimney. I'm not sure how many briquettes that is exactly. I use the 2 zone method to cook things slower or faster and I leave both vents wide open. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2018, 05:43:10 AM »
Lose the SnS...Pile the coals one one side and see what ya get...

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2018, 05:58:09 AM »

Lose the SnS...Pile the coals one one side and see what ya get...

Glad you said it. That’s exactly what I was thinking initially but didn’t want to sound anti gadget [emoji56]

MtView

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2018, 06:06:54 AM »
I really appreciate all of the advice!  I am going to try EVERYTHING starting with dumping the coals earlier.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2018, 07:07:40 AM »
If it’s still not getting hot enough...do what @56mpg suggests and crack the lid open a little.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 07:13:31 AM by Mike in Roseville »