Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: SSP acquisition  (Read 887 times)

Mr.Smoke

• Smokey Joe
SSP acquisition
« on: April 12, 2018, 04:05:55 PM »
I will be acquiring my first SSP. According to the owner everything works including the gas assist. My only small concern is the opening in the bowl where the ignitor enters. Is it common to have very minor corrosion/ porcelain chipping around this area. I’ve read that leaving the gas assist running too long can cause this. I’ve included a photo. Opinions appreciated. Also the one touch fins look rusted. Should I try to clean up or just replace the whole thing with the newer version. I know the old style is discontinued. Thanks

« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 11:54:57 AM by Mr.Smoke »

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
Re: SSP acquisition
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 06:19:43 AM »
IDK if it is common or not.  But, I can tell you that my 16 yr old SSP does not have that corrosion/chipping in that area. 
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 09:27:15 AM »
I have O and EI code SSPs here. Both have a little rusting around the hole, not as bad as that. I can't say how they were used prior to my ownership, but I do my best to only run the gas a few minutes unless I'm in some super hurry, which is rare. The chimney does the rest.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Mr.Smoke

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 03:38:59 PM »
Thanks gents. I will clean it up and continue to use my chimney.

Mr.Smoke

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 11:47:21 AM »
Picked up the Red Mist EZ code SSP this morning. Needs a bath but otherwise in great condition. The only issue I can see so far is the ash sweep won’t turn due to rust. A whack with a rubber mallet may take care of it. Also the bar that holds the ash collar is also rusted pretty bad. Does Brian still make these or does anyone know where I can source one out? I’m stoked to keep this one in the club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 11:55:20 AM by Mr.Smoke »

joejenks

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 12:01:25 PM »
It's not that uncommon to have a rusty bunghole

Sent from my SM-G920P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app