Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Ribs  (Read 1089 times)

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
Ribs
« on: March 22, 2018, 04:22:22 PM »
I used up the last of my Modified Memphis Dust on these so I'll have to make another batch of that soon or use a different rub next time. Anyways, there's a mixture of apple and pecan wood in there and there's four racks total, two on the upper deck and two down below.

Unfortunately I got off to a later start than intended but I don't have work tomorrow so it's not a big deal.

The WSM is happily smoking away in the back yard now.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
Re: Ribs
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 04:24:38 PM »
I forgot to mention this in the original post:  You know your barbecue smells good when the neighbour's dog's trying to dig under the fence to get at it.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 05:06:29 PM »
can’t wait to see those done!

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 05:32:49 PM »
[emoji106] that 22 wsm is a beauty. Online pictures don’t do them justice. I’ve only seen one in person at an ace hardware. They are massive.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 05:34:28 PM »
Also your yard / neighborhood look similar to mine. I had a long narrow yard until I robbed 30’ off the back for parking.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 08:23:13 AM »
I forgot to mention this in the original post:  You know your barbecue smells good when the neighbour's dog's trying to dig under the fence to get at it.

Okay, that's funny as all hell! :-)
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 02:00:20 PM »
The 22 inch WSM is a monster. One of the local barbecue shops has a display where all three are set up standing in a cluster. It dwarfs the 18 inch and makes the 14 inch one look vanishingly small.

The ribs turned out well. The two racks sitting on the cutting board with the foil got wrapped up and taken to a friend's family whose father passed away recently.

This was actually the first time I've used the WSM in the back yard instead of in the driveway. This might have been something of a mistake because in the driveway, it's reasonably sheltered. Out in the open with the wind going, it took ages to come up to temperature and it took forever for the ribs to cook. On the other hand, I can't argue with the results it produced. The next time I use it in the yard, I'll put more charcoal in to compensate for the additional heat loss from being out in the open exposed to the wind.

The neighbours' dog gets an A+ for effort. He didn't squeeze through under the fence, at least this time, but he was quite industrious about enlarging that hole. He dug out a bunch of garden rocks and he'll eventually be able to make it into my yard if he keeps that up.  He was staring at the smoker and whining the whole time he was trying to get into my yard until the neighbour put him inside.

It's strange how the city divided up the blocks in my area when they laid out the streets back in the early 1940s when the area was developed. The next street behind is well back but the block wasn't divided symmetrically so half a dozen houses on my side have these double sized lots that are incredibly deep but regular width. The houses behind us have larger than normal yards but not as large as on my side. One of the neighbours across the street from me decided to cash in last year and move out east and they couldn't figure out why property values changed so much from one side of the street to the other until they were visiting next door and saw the size of the lots on our side of the road.  I enjoy that back yard. Now if only spring would hurry up and warm up...

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 03:59:33 PM »
Great lookin' bones ! ! !  Sorry to hear about your neighbor's dad.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna