Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My black white red green & blue lantern thrift store find->but I don't collect  (Read 694 times)

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
While not made by Weber, it is over 10 pounds of kerosene powered porcelain coated metal goodness with real glass lenses. 

It is an Adlake non-sweating lamp from when they were still in Chicago.  A railroad signal lamp that can be mounted or hung by it's handle, set on a table or other horizontal surface (like my red SSP), or even mounted on a pole (there is a basically a round socket in the bottom).

Thought it might look nice while cooking or on the patio (once I move the stupid sheds & get the new gazebo set up). 

Only problem is, it doesn't look like it's ever been used.  (My poor tale of woe).  Besides being in excellent shape for it's age, 3 of the 4 lenses still have little stickers from the manufacturer on them saying they comply with a particular railroad code (but, they might be replacements), there is no evidence of soot inside the lantern, no smell of any sort inside the lantern, & it came with a wick that has never been lit.  So, I might have to sell it to some RR collector, buy one that isn't quite so nice for use on my patio, & use the leftover $ for more grills.
regards,
Hal

james1787

• WKC Ranger
Cool find! I had one for a little while similar to that. I think they were used on switches to indicate which way the switch was thrown. It bolted onto part of the switching mechanism. I eventually sold mine because it was just sitting in a box and I wasn't displaying / doing anything with it.
Seeking either 56-58 anything or Westerner

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
Interesting piece for sure!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
Thanks.  I bought it thinking I'd use it during some evenings.  Although after I found out how much a similar one went for in not as nice condition, I'm having second thoughts.  But, maybe I'll keep it. 

Mostly, I just couldn't resist posting it with the subject line using the various colors as "clickbait" because of the Weber lanterns.  I got both green & blue ONLY because the green lens looks blue when unlit.
regards,
Hal