Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Questions on building mini smoker  (Read 702 times)

mufffinman

• Smokey Joe
Questions on building mini smoker
« on: November 11, 2017, 01:54:34 PM »
I have read most of the plans online right now on building this baby. but I have some questions
1.  cutting the bottom of the tamale steamer , is it better to just cut out a opening, use a pattern to keep some metal for stabilization, or do just drilling works
2.  can I use the steamer tray to hold the clay diffuser?
3.  Best size for the bowl going over the air intake (sliver model) I am thinking taller the better but not to wide

Thanks
John

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Questions on building mini smoker
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 06:13:28 PM »
1. I don't know; I've only done it one way. I cut out most of the bottom, leaving "tabs" that I bent back towards the inside. I use the tabs to support a 12" SS pot lid that acts as diffuser/drip pan. Note: I've only used this setup once and don't have it tweaked yet. I need to add bolts/nuts as standoffs to raise the lid a little, since the support "tabs" it sits on aren't high enough to prevent the pot lid from resting on a full load of coals.

2. My clay dish sat on the tabs I described. It cracked after a few uses. It's my understand clay trays will all eventually crack, especially if you ever want the machine to be useful for high indirect heat cooks.

3. I use a large tuna can, with holes cut into its sides all around. I used one of those punch can openers like for the old metal Hi-C cans or an old metal oil can. If you're under like 40 or 50 years old you have no idea what I'm talking about. I have expanded steel tied around the charcoal grate.

The machine runs at about 230-250, both vents open, for a few hours before slowly dying down.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

mufffinman

• Smokey Joe
Re: Questions on building mini smoker
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 07:25:32 AM »
Thanks for your reply, and yes I am old enough to know about a Church Key LMAO, I was looking at some SS pet dishs and small mixing bowls at the local Goodwill