Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: The Lid has a ding  (Read 1504 times)

clarissa

• WKC Brave
The Lid has a ding
« on: May 08, 2017, 10:54:03 AM »
Wish my grill had a lid holder.  That little hook hanger inside is hard to use, especially when the lid is hot. I see that Weber discontinued the slide aside holder several years ago. I have dropped my lid (slid off a nearby table) and there is a small ding along the edge, but it is still round and fits fine.

Has anyone else dropped their lid or is it just me?  Now I will be more careful and probably set it on the ground to avoid any more possible accidents.

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
Re: The Lid has a ding
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 10:56:46 AM »
My buddy makes and sells a high quality stainless steel kettle hinge. He's applied for a received a patent on it. LMK if you'd like his contact info. It would solve your problem.
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
The Lid has a ding
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 12:14:01 PM »
I have a round wrought iron table I set my lid. The table is very convenient for everything. I use the ground as well if need be.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 12:18:45 PM by HoosierKettle »

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 12:25:13 PM »
I use the table technique as well.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 12:25:49 PM »
@clarissa , you can likely still find slide asides available on line at various sites for a reasonable price.  as for dropping lids, this thread should give you some comfort....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/dropped-a-lid/

here is a slide aside:
http://www.ereplacementparts.com/lid-holder-p-1475770.html
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 12:30:08 PM by Foster Dahlet »
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

clarissa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 12:42:04 PM »
The irony here is that I have a small WI table next to the grill.  But I was careless and put it on top of some other stuff that was on the table.....a metal baking sheet pan and a couple of tongs, so the lid was on an angle and slipped off onto my brick patio. Duh on me. Totally my fault.

When I was browsing for the lid holder everything I saw was expensive and not worth it. At the end of this season I may look for a sale on the one touch which has that feature anyway and then I will be a two grill person, which can't hurt.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 01:32:12 PM »
This seems to be a regular topic lately ….

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/dropped-a-lid/

Ooops, sorry for the repeat link ….  ??? :-\ :-X
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 01:46:57 PM by MacEggs »
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 02:13:18 PM »
The hook can be carefully bent to a more effective angle if necessary. Also, using a slow, deliberate motion works every time. Lean the lid edge to edge with the bowl and slide it down, maintaining contact, until the hook grabs.
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 04:26:53 PM »
   I think weber still sells the slide aside they may be at low stock levels so give them a call. If your bowl has one handle you can drill three holes and install the lid bale system. Much cheaper than buying one that already has it.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 07:52:56 PM »
I don't use those hooks. It's just begging to fail or be knocked off. I keep a couple rounds of wood next to my grill pad and set the lids on them or if using the garage grill, I lay the lid on a couple spare boards down as not to lay the lid directly on concrete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk