Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pat. Pending faded black MBH 18"  (Read 1389 times)

TheDude

• WKC Performer
Pat. Pending faded black MBH 18"
« on: May 04, 2016, 04:05:23 PM »
Picked her up today. Totally happy for $15. Some crazing on the bottom of the bowl. Leg sockets are solid, but rusted. One tiny hole and one sliver about a 1/4" long. Bottom vents need some reshaping. Charcoal grate is shot. This thing has seen some serious heat. SS cooking grate has some surface rust, but will clean up easy enough. Handle is in decent shape. Not sure if I will keep it, or have Brian make a new one. Flat edge twist on ash pan in pretty good shape. I'll touch it up with a bowling ball. Here's the lid vent. Any guesses on the year?

Still need a 22” yellow

TheDude

• WKC Performer
Re: Pat. Pending faded black MBH 18"
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 04:10:14 PM »
Looking though the age guide, looks to be a '78.
Still need a 22” yellow

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 06:48:01 PM »
stainless steel grate??

"One tiny hole and one sliver about a 1/4" long" I've got one like that too, on a '75 18 incher. Leg sockets are also now getting a little loose so I stopped cooking on it. What's weird is that the kettle is solid as a rock, zero leg wobble, zero shimmy of any kind.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 07:07:41 PM »
No wobble at all. I think I may restore this as best I can, let be a looker in my man cave.
Still need a 22” yellow

Speedster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 05:39:19 PM »
Is faded black an actual color? Or is it literally a faded black which used to be shiny?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Webers rule

Cellar2ful

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 05:46:39 PM »
@Speedster- I posed that same question when I first joined the Forum. It is not a color produced by Weber but actually faded black as you can see in my original post with the comparative picture. That faded black is what started Weberitis for me.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/what-did-weber-call-this-color/msg207808/#msg207808

A relative recently gave me an older Weber Kettle. I believe it's age is somewhere around 1975 to 1977.   It is grey(not black)and is speckled, white and grey.  I don't think I have seen this color in any pictures before.  Anyone know what Weber called this color?  I have posted a picture of it next to a black Weber for color comparison.   BTW, I have only cleaned the top so far.                                                                                                                                                                                               

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 06:11:37 PM »
Wow! no need to tag 2 threads to ask same question. This one going back to May of 06.   Yes, what  Cellar2ful said.
I don't believe it is a sun fade alone as the color fade is even on both lid and bowl on older black MBH. I think it is more of heat from cooking and some sun fade over time that changes black pigment in the porcelain to change to grey.  Not so much on newer blacks.

Best bet is to use the search button. Tons of threads on faded black comes up.  If nothing comes up, or want more clear answers , I think it is better to create a new thread dedicated to the topic. This way, next guy with a same question can do a search and find the answer.  Just a thought. Not just for OP but all of us including myself as I have done it before too.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 06:22:27 PM by greenweb »