Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Four Season Shelter  (Read 2157 times)

Lerxst

• WKC Brave
Four Season Shelter
« on: September 18, 2016, 11:09:17 AM »
I think it's time I do something about making it easier to enjoy my BBQ year round, rain or shine.  Rainy days, I have to find alternate ways to cook as I don't have anything to properly protect my Grill.  Up here in Canada we get a lot of snow, so whatever I decide to do, it has to be able to withstand the weight - which will rule out the canvas covered canopy type of BBQ Gazebos.  The hard top ones cost in excess of $1000.00.  I really don't think that an expense like that will make it to the top of my priorities.

Can I ask for you to share some pics or ideas for four season shelters that others have come up with?  Self-builds etc.
"Woke up this morning thinking - what can I barbecue next!  This is fun!"

swamprb

• WKC Performer
Re: Four Season Shelter
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 05:41:21 PM »
After years of cooking under cheapo canopies on my deck, I built a 12x12 shed and cooked under a 10x10 fabric top gazebo.

Last November a 100' Douglas Fir tree came down on the shed during a windstorm.

Insurance covered the damage and I had a covered overhang added that covers a 12x12 deck space.

It's the Bone Shack! I do my smoking, grilling and coffee roasting under cover.

https://www.facebook.com/Left-Hand-Smoke-116187658462391/videos
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 05:46:24 PM by swamprb »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 06:05:02 PM »
I've got one kettle that sits on my driveway. 24/7 I open the garage door a grill away.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 08:26:16 AM »
That is brilliant.  In our neck of the woods you need to pull a permit for any sheds that are larger that 120 sq ft.  I wonder if the overhand counts toward that or not, because that's awesome space.  In the winter you could stack firewood under there.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

effinUker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 09:08:33 AM »
I've got one kettle that sits on my driveway. 24/7 I open the garage door a grill away.

I have a SS Performer my wife got me in 2000 that I do pretty much the same thing with on my patio. It's outside year round, no cover, and I walk outside & grill. In the winter, I have to shovel a path to it.

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 09:35:47 AM »

Haven't gone through a winter at our new space yet, but all things considered the simplest solution is probably the best one.  I'll likely keep the kettle inside right by the door though.
"There are a great many things one can learn to do without actually doing them - Grilling is not one of them" - Alton Brown

Lerxst

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 12:25:29 PM »
Thanks for some feedback. I love the bone shack.
"Woke up this morning thinking - what can I barbecue next!  This is fun!"

zachlw

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 01:07:20 PM »
I got an aluminum screened in gazebo from Costco in the Toronto area for $500. End of season sell off.
I'm basically the Hank Hill of charcoal.