Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My SnS maiden voyage - Pulled pork  (Read 1745 times)

SoupDogg77

• Smokey Joe
My SnS maiden voyage - Pulled pork
« on: March 13, 2016, 05:12:15 AM »
I ordered a Slow n Sear last weekend and it showed up earlier than scheduled so I got to try it out on a 6lb bone-in pork butt my friend had given me (to smoke for him). It was not only my first time with the SnS but also my first time smoking a bone-in cut. I prepped the meat Friday night and fired up the kettle early Saturday morning. It smoked for 9hrs to 192 IT, I needed to declare it done at that point because my buddy had to leave soon, I would've liked it to go a little longer (203ish). Just the same, the bone pulled right out as a read it should and it was totally delicious!! Can't wait to play with my new toy again!! (Apologies if the pics appear huge, not sure how to size in phone)

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
Re: My SnS maiden voyage - Pulled pork
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 05:48:25 AM »
Nice maiden voyage! When you can pull that bone out with ease, that is slow smoked perfection! Nice job!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If it ain't smoked don't eat it!

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 11:09:40 AM »
Juicy and delicious! That last pic is great!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 08:04:11 AM »
@SoupDogg77 -  Nicely done.  I'm surprised it pulled that well.  What temp were your running in the grill?  I'm curious to see if you stayed around 225-250 or ran hotter which made it pull better at the lower internal temp.  When I smoke at 225-250 if I don't go to 200 IT I have had problems pulling the meat.  Damn that looks good!!!!!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 09:53:31 AM »
Great job!  Love how that bone came out clean.  Nice bark too.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 10:45:50 AM »
I would say you have it figured out.
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

SoupDogg77

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 11:57:18 AM »
@MikeRocksTheRed Yes that was the range I stayed within for the most part, most of the cook was around 235 or so. I wrapped at 150, as I was under time constraints. I let the vents open a tad toward the end but it didn't go higher than 260, and that was only for about the last 45 min. It was very jiggly when i opened the foil and pulled apart easily with 2 forks. You can actually see my 4yr old son holding them in the pic.

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
My SnS maiden voyage - Pulled pork
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 01:44:23 PM »
Good looking BBQ. I assume the reason it pulled so easily at that IT* was because it was still at such a low temp when you foiled it. I don't track BBQ meat temps anymore. When it's done it's done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 01:47:49 PM by kettlecook »

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 06:06:15 PM »
Yum! What rub did you use? Got a nice bark on it. Crunchy little bits o' love!

SoupDogg77

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 02:26:46 AM »
The rub I made myself, I tried to copy a recipe off an article I had read but had to improvise based on the spices I had on hand, but the breakdown is below:
1T salt (kosher)
1T paprika
1T brown sugar
2t chili powder
2t black pepper
1t garlic powder
1t onion power
1/2t cayenne

I can usually get about 2 pork butts out of 1 'batch'. The people who've had it all seem to enjoy it, I think I'd like to try a different one, just to experiment a little. I'd also like to try different woods, I've only smoked with Apple so far.

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 12:50:22 PM »

The rub I made myself, I tried to copy a recipe off an article I had read but had to improvise based on the spices I had on hand, but the breakdown is below:
1T salt (kosher)
1T paprika
1T brown sugar
2t chili powder
2t black pepper
1t garlic powder
1t onion power
1/2t cayenne

I can usually get about 2 pork butts out of 1 'batch'. The people who've had it all seem to enjoy it, I think I'd like to try a different one, just to experiment a little. I'd also like to try different woods, I've only smoked with Apple so far.

You could add a little cumin and replace some of the salt with a little celery salt if you want. Some folks use a little Old Bay for a bit of that celery salt flavor. Nothing wrong at all with straight apple, but you could mix it with a little hickory if you want a stronger smoke flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk