Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First Rib Roast  (Read 2013 times)

Bonus Cup

• Happy Cooker
First Rib Roast
« on: January 11, 2016, 11:33:05 AM »
Decided on trying my first Rib Roast so I had to try it on my Kettle and post it to here.  I picked up a 3 bone roast and let it come up to room temp for a couple of hours.  Only seasoned it with Montreal Steak Seasoning and used the Snake Method with a little bit of apple chunks.  I kept the grill around 240-250 and pulled the roast off at 128 and foiled to 133.
The wife had no complaints and said she liked it a lot so I call this cook a success.  Some things I will try on the next one though is to get my other kettle up to high temps and set the roast in indirectly for 15-20mins and then move over to the low and slow kettle.  Also, instead of pulling it at 128, I’ll pull it at 120 and foil it til around 125.  No complaints on doneness but we do like it just a little more rare than what it was.
Not a lot of pics but here are some pre-cook, pre-slice and plate.  Thanks for checking it out.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: First Rib Roast
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 11:50:40 AM »
Looks good to me!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Maxmbob

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 12:08:57 PM »
Great job on the rib roast.
WTB, Westerner, glen blue,

fedex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 08:13:19 PM »
What's that green stuff?  Great cook.
1 Black Limited Edition Kettle & Wife Model #1962

Stringplucker1

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 08:45:56 PM »
Looks good to me[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
C&B Blue Performer

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 08:53:51 PM »
Looks really good Bonus Cup, if you prefer your meat more towards rare try pulling off at 105 - 110 and just let rest un-foiled for maybe 10 - 15 minutes before carving.
We aren't fans of turkey around here so Thanksgiving and Christmas are prime rib cooks and we like them rare, So I remove them them from the bones and save them
for later usage. I tie them into a nice round chunk of meat so it cooks evenly all the way around and the whole exterior is a nice crusty layer.. 
This is one from 2014 and I didn't pull it from the kettle till it hit an I.T. of 120, so the carry over took it to like 130ish more of a  medium I was documenting this
cook for my photography class at the local community college..  and the crust on top cracked and pulled back exposing a patch of the roast..

AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

Bonus Cup

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 03:44:29 AM »
Thanks everyone.

mirkwood,
Thanks for the advice.  I kept second guessing myself on whether or not to cut the bone out.  The store I got it from had them sliced almost off and tied back.  I do like the idea of a more even doneness so I think I'll try cutting them off and tying it round like you suggested.

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 05:20:22 AM »
Looks damn good !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SixZeroFour

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 08:17:02 AM »
Yea that looks delicious - nice job!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Cochise

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 04:21:04 PM »
Looks very good to me. Also, like Mirkwood said be careful with foil it can throw internal temps up quicker than one would think....especially insulated in a cooler or microwave.
SMOKE THIS!!