Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rusted SSP ash sweep -- where/how to cut it off?  (Read 3639 times)

micky

• Smokey Joe
Rusted SSP ash sweep -- where/how to cut it off?
« on: November 12, 2015, 11:55:04 AM »
I'm getting ready to start rehabbing the black SSP I adopted via CL.  First step will be to remove the rusted hex ash sweep/bar assembly (the bar is bent).  I've read up here on how to cut it off, but I'm not a native tool user and I'm confused about exactly where to cut it. Near as I can tell, some folks suggest cutting off both sides of the sweep "handle" on opposite sides of the hex nut, the rest of the sweep should drop back into the bowl for easy removal. But if that's correct, how do I get past the bar?  I'm assuming that the hex part I see below the kettle is a nut, but maybe it's really the end of a bolt? 

I have a dremel and some metal cutting wheels -- will they do the trick?  Thanks![/img]
[/img]
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 12:10:20 PM by micky »

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

micky

• Smokey Joe
Re: Rusted SSP ash sweep -- where/how to cut it off?
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 12:08:49 PM »
Thanks!  I did see that thread but it didn't entirely help me. I can see how cutting off the sweep arms on either side of the hex there would work. But those photos don't look like my situation. Mine still has a big metal bar (ash bucket holder) located between the hex and the outside of the kettle bowl. So I'm not understanding how cutting through the sweep arms will allow me to also get rid of the bar ...

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 12:19:41 PM »
The metal bar is being held up by the sweep adjustment arm if I am remembering mine corretly.  If you cut the sweep arm flush to the sides of the hex nut on both sides, the metal bar should come right off.  Also, just so you know at least it was the case with my SS Performer, when I ordered the 2015 model of the ash catcher and assembly, the leg mounts didn't work and I had to do some modifications to get the new ash catcher on it.  I'll look for the post I did of that and post it here shortly.  Not sure if the slightly pre-2015 ash catchers work better, but I liked the design and looks of the newer model.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 12:23:13 PM »
Here is my posting for the installation of my ash catcher.  I didn't document the removal of my old one....think I was able to pull my sweeper arm right out with no problem.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 12:23:19 PM »
I have done this twice …. Using an angle grinder with a cut-off wheel.  A Dremel should work fine.  Just be patient.

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

micky

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 12:28:07 PM »
Ok I'll try it. It surprises me that removing the arm from each side of the hex will do the trick because it looks like the big flat bar is being held on by the hex, not the arm -- the arm itself sits below/separated from the flat bar. But I'm happy to give it a try as you suggest!

I like the looks of the newer bucket too. I do have the original model that came with my SSP.  Haven't decided yet it I'll replace it.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 12:28:57 PM »
@MacEggs  - Damn dude...you fileted the hex nut!  That's pretty hard core!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 12:31:50 PM »
@micky -  Either I was able to get the thumbscrew loose with some pliers, or it was already missing on mine when I got it and replaced the one touch system.  Either way, once you get the control arm out of the way the cleaning system should pull right out through the top of the kettle and the metal bar holding the ash catcher will come right off as well.

micky

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 01:28:16 PM »
Wow -- that was actually easy!  Took less than 5 minutes.  Thanks for the help and the confidence boost everyone -- i was going to ask my husband to do it for me but you inspired me to go it alone.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2015, 01:41:04 PM »

micky

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2015, 01:43:30 PM »
Yes it was!
;-)

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2015, 07:06:59 PM »
Good work! And thanks @MikeRocksTheRed for the help.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791