Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First bacon weave, first fatty, and first cook on Red!  (Read 1408 times)

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
First bacon weave, first fatty, and first cook on Red!
« on: October 12, 2015, 07:24:48 AM »
I made a rather large fatty today.  I woke up early, made the bacon weave, then used three pounds of ground beef and a pound of Italian sausage to make the meat layers of the fatty.  I filled it with cheddar, mozzarella, onions, green olives, and pepperoni.  Rolled it up tight and put it in the fridge before church and the Pinball Hall of Fame.  I got home from the Pinball Hall of Fame at 3:00 yesterday and got to work getting it on the grill.  Used a Weber starter cube to get a small pile of KBB going, then added unlit briquettes on top.  Smoked with hickory chunks (all out of apple!!)  I have to say I LOVED the daisy wheels.  I could adjust and keep heat at 275-300 pretty easily.   We ate at 7 o'clock.  The fatty was great overall.  A bit too much hickory flavor for my wife's liking.  Next time, I would split the meat into two smaller rolls, but live and learn!  I have plenty of delicious leftovers for the week to come.  Tonight I am making Cuban Sandwiches with leftover grilled pork loin from last week, but I'm pretty sure a fatty sandwich is in the works for this evening ;).

By the way, I've polished the top vent, legs, and bottom triangle, removing about 80% of the rust there.  I also used Duplicolor Engine Red to repaint a couple small spots on the lid, as well as the areas around the handle where there was some pretty serious rust.  I have decided NOT to bend the handle back into shape.  After looking inside the lid, it seems that the left weld on the handle is fairly rusted.  I don't want to risk further damage by bending the handle back into shape.  Also, I noticed that the handle is a bit off center...I'm curious about this.  Were old Weber kettle handles welded on by hand?  I compared this kettle to my restored 'Cado, and that handle is clearly centered. 

The other grills are jealous that the new guy gets to do the first Fatty.

Finally, this is not the best plate pic, but it was LATE and the children were HUNGRY!  Overall very good!

Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
Re: First bacon weave, first fatty, and first cook on Red!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 11:15:00 AM »
Very Nice!

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 06:31:08 PM »
Great first cook on that red, it looks great!
Love you collection, you've got some nice pieces in there already!

JDLones

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 06:52:49 PM »
I've never done the basket weave either, or a fatty, for that matter. I need to give it a try. Nice cook on a purty grill. Well done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I love the smell of wood smoke and cooking meat...
Weber OTG 22.5 and Jumbo Joe
Char-Broil Commercial Gasser

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 06:53:51 PM »
Looks delicious!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 08:18:48 PM »
Good looking fatty! 4 grills 4 fatties BAM problem solved!  ;D
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

SixZeroFour

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 08:42:28 PM »
Great job on the fatty, and the red fits in with the rest of the Weber fam perfectly [emoji106]
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 12:34:55 AM »
Very nice collection and the food looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk