Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: BSCB?  (Read 1856 times)

TheDude

• WKC Performer
BSCB?
« on: September 29, 2015, 03:39:12 PM »
How do I make them not suck? My girl wants chicken tomorrow, and is afraid of bones.
Still need a 22” yellow

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
Re: BSCB?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 06:07:59 PM »
I like to brine them first for at least 2 hours, 4 preferred. Then grill direct until a nice color on both sides, then move to the indirect side, close lid and finish up to internal temp of 165*F.

The other night I didn't have time to brine so I butterflied them then squeezed lime juice on them with some garlic and onion powder and let them sit in the refrigerator for about an hour and grilled them direct till 165*F

The key is don't cook them past 165*F or they will be dry, the brine helps keeping them moist

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 07:32:02 PM »
I didn't realize when I posted, they are pre-marinated in garlic butter. Would you still brine, or would that kill the marinade? Also, isn't 140° considered safe now?
Still need a 22” yellow

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 07:55:11 PM »
I didn't realize when I posted, they are pre-marinated in garlic butter. Would you still brine, or would that kill the marinade? Also, isn't 140° considered safe now?

brining will probably make the marinade weird.

chicken needs to go to 165. Pork has been lowered to 145

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 08:04:19 PM »

brining will probably make the marinade weird.

chicken needs to go to 165. Pork has been lowered to 145

Gotcha. Bone in, I have no problem. BSCB are the bane of my existence.
Still need a 22” yellow

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 05:06:33 AM »
pound them flat with a mallet or use the bottom of a heavy pan. The normal oblong shape leads to uneven cooking. pound flat and you will cook quick and even.

If you're ever lazy or in a rush a marinade in Italian dressing is a decent 1 step prep.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 05:09:48 AM »
...so I butterflied them then...
The key is don't cook them past 165*F or they will be dry...

I've always had best BSCB cooks after I Pound 'em flat (or butterfly, bone in pictured) think about a good chicken sandwich
(edge to edge, mostly even like a burger or steak)

...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 09:43:29 AM »
Slice into chicken strip size and roll in Dixie fry or another fried chicken coating mix , cook indirect on your weber until crispy and you reach 165 IT

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 03:22:12 PM »
Lot of good ideas here. Trying to pound them out a little to make them more even is a good start, I usually just hit the fat side a few time with the side of my hand.

Most importantly, pull them off at 165! Chicken is about the only thing I use my instant read thermometer for. The window is just so small

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 04:10:58 PM »
Wound up cutting off the thin flaps off the ends. Chefs snack. Seared them till they released on their own. Indirect till 165. Pretty juicy boobs. Thanks guys.

My thighs were still better though.
Still need a 22” yellow