Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Smoke EZ - initial impressions  (Read 6590 times)

kexodusc

• Smokey Joe
Smoke EZ - initial impressions
« on: August 03, 2015, 07:04:24 AM »
Just thought I'd share my experiences with a Smoke EZ, I don't see as many product reviews from actual owners. 

Originally I was shopping for a Cajun Bandit Stacker for my 22.5".  I'm still new to smoking on Webers, but had some great success with ribs and pork shoulder.   Really enjoy smoking on my Kettles. The only problems was, for a family of 4 and sometimes 6 on weekends, I wanted a bit more capacity. Worse, I had a larger gathering I wanted to cook for in 7 days time, so I was a bit hasty in my purchase decision making process.

I read a lot of good stuff about the CB Stacker.  Unfortunately for me, the shipping charges to my mailbox in Maine, or my home in Canada gave me pause.  While searching for options I stumbled on some Smoke EZ reviews. After 4 minutes of online shopping, my choices were a CB Stacker, with the charcoal ring and diffuser added, or the Smoke EZ rig (charcoal ring, bowl, and hanging rack included, but no diffuser) with free shipping.  At this time the difference in price as $5.  I have a few aluminum pizza pans I could use as a a diffuser so I pulled the trigger.

It arrived well packaged and only took a few minutes to put together.

Things I like about the Smoke EZ
1) handles - The Smoke EZ comes pre-built with handles.  If you ever need to top up charcoal or smoke, add water, clean out ash without spreading it anywhere, you can very quickly transplant the entire Smoke EZ to the standby Kettle, even load it with a few lit charcoals if I wanted to, make your adjustments, and transplant back.  I find a 2nd Kettle makes a great work table no matter what I'm doing, can also use it to keep food warm as another member suggested to me.

2) Water Bowl - I've just used cheap foil pans in the past - this one looks like a doggy bowl, but it holds more than enough water to get through 12 hours without a refill. You could easily find one locally for cheap, but it's convenient they've included one.

3) charcoal ring - it look pretty cool with the laser cut holes and sure helps when making a tidy ring of fire 2 x 2 or whatever along the perimeter. When I use lump, it's helps me gauge by eye how even the ring is (and makes a nice, uniform support).  I've also just used the minion method and had pretty good results too, but I used my own DIY ring for that.

4) overall build quality - If memory serves, the Stacker is a stainless steel ring, which I think is probably a bit better.  The Smoke EZ probably isn't quite as sturdy, but to its credit it's solid, doesn't appear to bend at all with some force applied and it fits tight and snug on 2 kettles I have.   I can see no leaks around the base where it rests on the Kettle, but I do get a few around the lid, about the same as when the lid is just on the Kettle.  Good enough so far.

5) Capacity.  I think the Smoke EZ is 2.5 inches taller than the Bandit, but both increase the cooking space immensely. I've only used the hanging rack once, but you could fit a lot of carcass in this thing if you wanted to. This pork butt is over 5 lbs.

6) Temperature control - it's not that hard to learn to use this thing. Also, the top grate doesn't seem to have any significant hotspots, even at the perimeter above the lit charcoal. Without a diffuser used, I did some experimenting and only got about 10-15 degree differences between the hottest and coolest areas of the grate.  Haven't been able to test the lower section yet in the same fashion.   

I still have a lot of technique to learn as I've been cooking with charcoal for just several weeks now , but I've managed to load enough fuel to obtain 12 hour+ smokes at 225-250, and I did one run at 275 with 8 hours in a standard ring.  I think I could easily load another layer of fuel and go longer, just haven't tried yet so don't quote me. 

When I have had to refuel a few times and the transplant has been super simple. I've gone 6 hours+ a few times without having to adjust a vent (+/- about 12 degrees on Maverick), and after the first hour of dialling in my temps, I don't think I've ever gone shorter than 3 hours before having make any adjustments.  I've also read owners of the Stacker claim they had an easier time locking in temps than just the kettle alone, I wonder if the added volume of air inside sort of creates a slight buffer somehow that is more resistant to temperature changes?  Or maybe I just need to work harder on my kettle.  I tip my hat top people who say they can go several hours on a kettle with a tighter temperature tolerance.  That's precision cooking I hope to get to one day.

After maybe 10 - 12 cooks on the Smoke EZ now, I'm impressed.  Neither of these options are dirt cheap, but they'll save you a bit vs a WSM, with certain trade-offs. I gather the WSM is even more set it and forget it, but I've had a few good overnight cooking sessions now.  I'm happy with the purchase for when I need or want to cook on something other than the Kettle, and feel there's a few advantages.  I'll provide updates over time on longevity, any issues, or long-term thoughts after extended ownership, but initial review is all positive.  I'm sure most of the benefits would apply to the CB Stacker too - if shipping was a lot cheaper or free I'd probably own one of those instead.  Can't say I'm regretting the decision though. 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 02:17:08 PM by kexodusc »
Charcoal rookie, whisky hall-of-famer. Current rig: 3 OTS's acquired second-hand, a Smoke-EZ, Maverick ET-733 and not enough time

Troy

• Statesman
Re: Smoke EZ - initial impressions
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 08:06:26 AM »
nice review!
i was torn between the bandit and the smoke ez for 6 months before finally going with the bandit.

I remember talking to the smoke ez guy on the phone, super nice guy. His name was Buddy, if I remember correctly.

kexodusc

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 11:57:35 AM »
Yeah, I don't think you'd regret either option. The Kettle is the real performer here, these attachments just enhance the utility. One other con of the Smoke EZ - the logo is plastered on the front, some people may not mind this at all.  I would have liked something a bit more subtle, perhaps. It's no big deal to just turn it around and hide if you like. 

I smoked my first brisket this weekend.  Lots of room for improvement, but satisfactory results.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 02:18:35 PM by kexodusc »
Charcoal rookie, whisky hall-of-famer. Current rig: 3 OTS's acquired second-hand, a Smoke-EZ, Maverick ET-733 and not enough time

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 12:01:10 PM »
yeah the logo drives me bonkers.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 12:45:00 PM »
Well written review, thank you.
I may be able to cover that logo...
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

kexodusc

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 03:13:31 PM »
Well written review, thank you.
I may be able to cover that logo...

I just turn around when I don't want to look at it :).  But it's in a low traffic area of my back yard.  I suppose some people might like it. 

I forgot to mention, the wood handles are solid, but they are etched with the words "low" and "slow" on them.  It's certainly embracing the culture.  I installed them such that the words faced in. If you're gonna do logos,  I'd rather a bull skull or pig head with XX's over it's eyes or something.

Logos aside,  I'm happy with what it offers.