Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Any one wrap pork butt/shoulder/picnic in butcher paper?  (Read 5677 times)

jdefran

• WKC Brave
Any one wrap pork butt/shoulder/picnic in butcher paper?
« on: July 24, 2015, 08:12:41 AM »
Picking up some butcher paper for a brisket cook next week. I'll also be smoking a butt so I figure I should wrap that too...

Any one use butcher paper to wrap a butt?

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Re: Any one wrap pork butt/shoulder/picnic in butcher paper?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 08:55:55 AM »
I haven't given it a try yet, but from what I've seen anything can be wrapped and it breathes better than foil which helps keep the bark intact. Give it a try and let us know how it goes!

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 03:57:04 PM »
Heard about this pink butchers paper lately
Looking to obtain a roll
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 06:36:44 AM »
@MrHoss I think does that everytime he cooks a butt.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 08:24:38 AM »
I do my briskets with paper but my butts are only done sometimes with paper. Last time I did a butt I went naked till it hit 175f internal then put it fat side up in a pan. Foil went over the top when it hit 192f internal and I pulled at about 197f. I usually look at how moist my meat looks and decide which way to go with wrapping and paper or foil. I find I get moister meat using foil....better bark with paper. If everything looks real moist I won't wrap at all sometimes.

One note about that butchers paper....if there is any sort of film or coating on one side of it....you have the wrong kind. I cannot source untreated butchers paper where I live so use paper grocery bags with the bottom and glue strip cut out.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 12:51:09 PM »
I made sure it was not coated on either side. I purchased it to use on a brisket but I'll be doing a shoulder the day so figure I might as well try it.

I purchase 850' of it so hopefully it'll be put to good use. I decided I might as well use the paper to cover my prep area and keep the counters more clean when meat juices are flinging around  ???

Matt_T

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 04:16:40 PM »
Paper on the counter is a great trick - I'd say that it's a must but I know a lot of guys that don't use it.

As for wrapping - I have never used paper so please keep me in the loop on the results.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Keep it simple stupid

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 11:06:19 AM »
@Matt_T, I enjoyed using the butcher paper. It made clean up a breeze after trimming the meat and I think it actually help maintain the bark. Much to my surprise was the butcher paper actually retaining some most of the drippings. As the paper is heated it becomes brittle and what almost seems impervious; unfortunately when removing the paper before wrapping in foil to rest (while my brisket finished), I lost a lot of drippings. By that point by drip beans were already removed so perhaps next time I'll have a tray down there.