Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: pepper boats for a boat launch  (Read 1755 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
pepper boats for a boat launch
« on: May 16, 2015, 07:06:52 PM »
A friend spent 14 months building a boat. Today was the launch. I asked what to bring and he said, "bring a side."

I took small sweet peppers, made little boats out of them, filled them with a spread and wrapped them in bacon.

the tea-stirrer spoon is tiny, so is the pepper:

When I started to think about the bacon it didn't seem like the right complement here, but knew I needed it. I wanted a bridge of some kind to bring together the filling and the bacon profiles, and a dollop of spicy hot BBQ sauce made sense:

On the way over I knew he'd bring his smoker. What I didn't know is that he had an Orion. Inside is a brisket and some ribs:

I set up to cook and enjoy the scenery:

Here's some of what others provided, tuna fish, potato salad, salsa, some other salad ...

And so ... I didn't get a pic of my pepper boats, nor the ribs he made. Both were great. Everything happened too fast. I have some leftover pepper boats and will add a pic tomorrow!

But here's the brisket finishing on the lower level of the Orion. it was yummy too.

What was interesting is that while I was cooking the pepper boats, one of the friends comes over and sets down some mystery meat in a bag for me to cook. I'm like, "huh? OK" I'd never met her and had no idea what it was, but my JJ was already busy. "That's OK, it'll cook fast." So I said I'll put it on later.

Took off and served the pepper boats. Opened the bag of meat from the cooler and discover it's $22 worth of seasoned carne asada ... yikes, I don't want to F this up.

I spread it all out but my fire is dying. The beef was two long pieces and consumed the grill area and then some. Good thing it was a super-thin cut of meat. One cooked faster since fuel was only setup on one side. This went on for a while, with her and I sometimes turning the meat until I stole some coals from the Orion and then went into my car trunk for some lump ... about the time the temp came back up she pulled the beef off!

Now, I didn't mind this stranger working my grill ... it was her meat at "stake" there, and she was comfortable with it all even if the lid bale feature was totally lost on her.

Here's a shot of that beef, tasted like restaurant quality stuff!

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Re: pepper boats for a boat launch
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 08:14:54 PM »
Looks like a lot of fun!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 08:26:07 PM »
way cool!

I'm really digging the boat, any more info/details/pics of it?
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 08:58:04 PM »
Looks like a great day!
The boat is very cool.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 06:33:23 AM »
What a great time to spend the day. All the food looks good. I still have my Orion. Just haven't used it in along time.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 08:13:58 AM »
... I'm really digging the boat, any more info/details/pics of it?

All I know is that is got a book or a magazine about the design and went from there. Some things went according to plan, some didn't. Probably wants to sell it and build another one. It did turn out great though.

Quote from:  argentflame
I still have my Orion. Just haven't used it in along time.

I spent some time on their site. I can see why they target the tailgating and camping crowd if it cooks fast and requires less futzing during the cook. And the SS construction and cost are attractive, too. That said, not everyone would always want (partially) steamed ribs or do without some natural char flavor. Their site sells 3 grates for $18, do you know if they fit an SJ, @ argentflame?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 08:14:48 AM »
I crisped up the bacon in the broiler and had the rest for brunch.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 08:16:25 AM »
And I kinda like this bacon, regular grocery store brand but no sugar added and low sodium. Still tasted like bacon but without the constant reminder I might die tomorrow from eating it.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 11:58:09 AM »
Looks like a great time was had by all!

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 03:38:20 PM »
Man that looks really good! Cool Orion smoker too, never seen one before.