Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Oklahoma Grilled Onion Burgers ( my take )  (Read 1871 times)

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Oklahoma Grilled Onion Burgers ( my take )
« on: May 01, 2015, 11:27:22 AM »
Back in the depression era 1920s a diner in El Reno, Oklahoma called the Hamburger Inn on Route 66 came up with the idea that by using onions smashed into the burger they could save on meat cost and keep the portion size the same. The burgers became a huge hit and are still served today , known as FOBs fried onion burgers.  The idea is simple and in the original recipe it's done on a flat top griddle which made for a greasy oniony mess that must be heaven on a bun  for sure, but  I wanted to try it on the grill and cut down on the grease and fat a little .

For my recipe I went with some Bison burger, I used a Walla Walla sweet onion , Kaiser buns and white american cheese .

First step was to sweat the onions so there soft before they ever hit the grill. This a simple process but necessary to avoid crunchy undercooked onions in the finished burger.

1 large onion sliced thin and a 1 tsp salt,  coat the  onions in salt and then place in a colander to drain 
Here's how much moisture came out of the onions in about an hour, by this time they were soft and ready to use

Next step divide your onions into equal piles on a plate or baking sheet and season your meat , since I'm using bison a leaner cut I opted to add some cold butter slightly chopped to the meat for some fat  , this will help keep things moist and juicy during the cook.

Next step is to smash the meat down through the onions forming a mix of onion and meat on the top side of the burger .

Time for the grill ...I apologize for any fuzzy photos it got dark

I made a smoke pouch out of foil with some apple chips. Grill onion side down slightly indirect until you get a nice crust on the onion, flip and go direct for a nice sear on the bottom side. Toast up your favorite bun and serve with the cheese on the bottom

I didn't get quite the crust on the onion I'd hoped, I like my burgers medium to med rare so I likely didn't give them enough time to brown up completely  but they were delicious anyway , the burger is an onion lovers dream , juicy and full of flavor .

" Esto Perpertua "
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 11:45:58 AM by Idahawk »
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
Re: Oklahoma Grilled Onion Burgers ( my take )
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 11:42:01 AM »
That has to be the tasty history lesson ever...
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 11:53:32 AM »
Wow, smoking cook, Idahawk! Nice!

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 12:02:32 PM »
That tip about sweating the onions....thank you. I tried doing a take on this style of burger and did not do that step. Now I am gonna try it the correct way.

That Red MT is looking beauty.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 03:22:44 PM »
mmmmmmmmmm looks tasty thanks!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 06:25:46 PM »
SHAZAM!

I'm already full. And yet I want to eat all that right now.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 08:00:50 PM »
i had never heard of this, but it looks incredible!!

chuck s

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 04:25:50 AM »
That is a new one on me too...... It is now on the list - thanks for the details

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2015, 05:44:40 AM »
I will have to try that, it looks amazingly great
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 06:12:11 AM »
Great idea there, thanks for sharing!