Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First Kettle Pizza Cook  (Read 1503 times)

aguyindallas

• WKC Brave
First Kettle Pizza Cook
« on: January 11, 2015, 12:39:24 PM »
Today was the day to put my CL Kettle Pizza to work. Following some direction of others, I used two charcoal baskets in a V shape in the kettle and dropped some additional coals in the void that the V created. I used one chimney of regular Kingsford and a little pecan and hickory for my cook.

There is some learning curve to this, but the results were tasty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My Tools - 22.5 OTG, 26.75 OTG, Genesis 330, Take Anywhere Gasser, 22.5 WSM, Texas Smokemaster Offset Smoker

Nate

• WKC Ranger
Re: First Kettle Pizza Cook
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 04:55:35 AM »
Nice first KP pie. Looks like you have their pro grate and stone??? Curious, what air temp were you running And what was your stone temp?  How did the bottom of the crust look, lepordimg?  also, how long was the cook? I bbq a lot of pizzas and haven't used the KP the way they tell you. I probably should at least once to see if he pies cook differently.  My pies usually cook between 2-4 minutes. Sorry for all the questions.

aguyindallas

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 05:00:13 AM »
The kettle pizza got above 700, looked like 800. As for the stone temp, I'm not sure. They cooked for 3-4 minutes, only pulled out to control cheese burn, especially after the first one. We used a lot of corn meal which may have deterred some of the leoparding of the crust. Also note, I did have the Pizza Steel  in place  during this cook.

My Tools - 22.5 OTG, 26.75 OTG, Genesis 330, Take Anywhere Gasser, 22.5 WSM, Texas Smokemaster Offset Smoker

SixZeroFour

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 09:11:16 AM »
The pizza looks excellent! Thanks for sharing aguyindallas ... so was it actually your b-day as well? ;)
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

aguyindallas

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 09:13:45 AM »
Lol, nope, but that beer is like drinking chocolate cake. Very good!

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 10:44:00 AM »
Oh my, those pies look good!  Nicely done. :D
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 02:24:30 PM »
Definitely a successful first run :)

aguyindallas

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 02:28:23 PM »
Yeah, I really can't complain much about it being my first run. Also...it only being about 35 degrees, all my judgement was a little out of whack.

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 04:41:21 AM »
When you say pizza steel, do you mean the KP baking steel that is above the pizza?  If so, I see how you turned out a delicious lookin pie. I use my homemade mojoe griddle as the roof on my KP. BTW, try using semolina flour instead of cornmeal. It doesn't burn like cornmeal and seems to work better when transferring the pie from the peel to the stone.

aguyindallas

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 04:53:28 AM »
@Nate Yes, that's the steel I am referring too.   I will try the flour. We also just ordered a couple of pizza screens. I'm going to try all methods and see what works best.