Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Tracking and Recording your cooks?  (Read 1655 times)

aguyindallas

• WKC Brave
Tracking and Recording your cooks?
« on: January 03, 2015, 10:06:13 AM »
I made a vow to track and record my cooks this year. I want to pay closer attention and document my success and failure, especially on my new WSM.

Do any of you use any sort of app for this? I just did my first cook in my Notes app on my iPad, which backs up to the cloud. This was I can see it from my phone or iPad. I tried checking the app store for something, but I really couldn't find what I wanted and didn't want to pay for an app that wont do all I want.

Ideally, I want to document the cook from start to finish and if possible, toss a few pics in between. Anybody using anything like this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My Tools - 22.5 OTG, 26.75 OTG, Genesis 330, Take Anywhere Gasser, 22.5 WSM, Texas Smokemaster Offset Smoker

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Tracking and Recording your cooks?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 04:31:59 PM »
I gotta APP for that.......

It's called the WKC APP...............
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

aguyindallas

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 04:33:52 PM »
Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My Tools - 22.5 OTG, 26.75 OTG, Genesis 330, Take Anywhere Gasser, 22.5 WSM, Texas Smokemaster Offset Smoker

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 09:12:39 AM »
@aguyindallas

Just Kidding, but other than that I'm not much help.....

I know some folks here have the tracking apps & ways to record progressions & other data, but I fail to remember who they are at the moment .............
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

aguyindallas

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 04:53:33 AM »
No reply, lol. I guess anybody that may be tracking is just doing it the good ole fashioned way of writing it in a notebook.

I did track my first cooks so far in my iPad using the basic notes function. Its not fancy, but it works. I suppose I will continue down this road until I find a better alternative.

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 06:54:35 AM »
@aguyindallas, I end up tracking and recording by posting online, its a habit that i started when i used to fish more often.

I usually document as many details for my own record keeping and for feedback from other members. I can always go back and search through my old posts to look for trends and tips.

Its amazing when you look back at what you wrote how much different your memory is from your documentation. Its a fun way to see how much you've learned or how much you have forgotten.

An app would be pretty cool, you can always do a spreadsheet and track the data:

Date and Time
Meat type(s), quantities,
Prep details
Rub/sauces used
Equipment used
Weather/wind conditions
Fuel: type/quantity/arrangement
Timer
Temperature recording(s) (desired vs actual)
Total Cook Times (expected vs actual)
RESULTS: (Taste, presentation, feedback etc)
Im sure as you compile data you will start to see trends and learn what to do better.

Good Luck.

Now that I am writhing this i might start the spreadsheet/diary myself as I just got a pit master IQ 110 that i am working on perfecting my set up.

It was 7 degrees out this morning here in New York so its perfect weather for BBQ !

Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP