Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Frozen pizza: Here's what worked for me.  (Read 2069 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Frozen pizza: Here's what worked for me.
« on: October 20, 2014, 04:15:27 PM »
I'd been wanting to try it on the 18.5" because of the "flat lid" design, thinking I could get the pie closer to the lid and so, the top of the pie hotter than I could with a 22.5".

Pure conjecture and speculation, still, but that's my theory. No thermometer used.

I lit a full chimney of whatever I had laying around, partially spent hardwood briquettes and lump. All vents open of course. I spread the coals around, nearly leaving a blank spot in the center. Looked a little barren.

My stone is a Pampered Chef 010403 "Classics Collection". It's about 1/2" with a beveled edge. Pampered Chef has another that's a little thinner and features handles. That one won't fit under the lid of the 18.5" and probably isn't as good a stone, anyway.

First was a Palermo's Primo Thin frozen cheese. Rotated it once or twice. Just eyeballed it. Bottom of the crust a little overdone but the kids didn't complain. And then I remembered my firebricks!

Next one, another Palermo's Primo Thin frozen, Sicilian. I placed two firebricks in the middle, together (laying flat). Worked great and the crust was the best I've seen from my grills. Best frozen pizza I've had.

It could be that any one of the variables changed (grill, stone, firebricks, charcoal placement, pizza) could screw it up next time. I'll have to try and see what a different pizza does. Not quite ready to make my own pies yet. The ones tonight had s super thin crust, maybe that's the key for frozen.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Troy

• Statesman
Re: Frozen pizza: Here's what worked for me.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 07:06:32 PM »
I love doing frozen pizza on the grill. LOVE IT!!

I've found the secret, at least for me, is nearly spent coals. It's a softer, less intense, more even heat.

No stone - straight on the grates.
Partially thawed :)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 02:44:39 AM »
Interesting. Since some of mine were like that perhaps that was "my secret" as well and didn't realize it. I can see where partially thawed might help as well, with reduced heat.

About how long does it take for you?

Also, all of this seems the opposite of how I've read kettle pizza is supposed to work, with blazing heat and very short cook time. But I guess that's only when you have a dedicated oven setup and/freshly made pizza.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 04:39:43 AM »
Hmmm i may have to try this, sounds interesting.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 05:06:15 AM »
so long as i get the stone up to temp before plopping the pizza on there i've had good results.

but thank you for the insights, i'm considering a second deck and this would be a good excuse. 
I only use kettles with lid bales.

heart of coal

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 11:41:17 AM »
i do firebricks on then my pizza stone on top..

trader joe's 3 cheese pizza.  get it ripping hot and crusty..add fistfuls of arugula, and drizzle with olive oil.