Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cooking First Time With The Vortex and Roti Chicken  (Read 2447 times)

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
Cooking First Time With The Vortex and Roti Chicken
« on: June 09, 2014, 10:18:48 PM »
Had burgers, Korean marinade chicken wings and moinks on a warming rack (also got an 1800 table and the rack from Winz. Thank you)
Roti chicken smoked on cherry chunks gifted by Cuda Dan.

Vortex only half filled with Kbb briqs heated up very quickly like a volcano. Seared my burgers first left them to long so they got burnt and dried up. That was my fault, I should be quicker with the Vortex. Moinks and chicken wings came out really good. Roti chicken also came delicious. Chicken was brined for four hours. Sorry no picture on final cook of chicken. Accidentally touch the hot roti rod and had to ice my index finger.

Cooked chicken wings and Moinks

Winz

• WKC Ranger
Re: Cooking First Time With The Vortex and Roti Chicken
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 03:23:37 AM »
Vortex only half filled with Kbb briqs heated up very quickly like a volcano.

Please be careful with that thing!  I filled it almost completely on my first cook with it and it was scary HOT - almost like cooking over a full chimney starter.  I think it works much better as an indirect cooker - set up like you have it for cooking wings, monks, turds, etc, or by flipping it upside down and putting the charcoal on the outside.  With some foil underneath, and using a snake, it would be good for a pork shoulder on the kettle.

The roti chicken looks great!

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 03:55:59 AM »
Do you guys light a chimney and then dump into the vortex or do you put unlit into the vortex then light?
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 05:13:48 AM »

Grate Show, man !!!!

Stuff on one, stuff rotating on another ......a bit unfortunate the burgers dried out, but you'll get the hang of it...........

Everything looks good still the same !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Cuda Dan

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 05:32:29 AM »
Argentflame,
 The learning curve on the Vortex is put on what you want to cook then almost immediately take it off!
That is the fun about getting new accessory for your kettle.
The Roti chicken looked really good and the Vortex chicken/burgers
Two '86 Red OT 22's (sold one G), '85 Red OT 22, '88 Red OT 22's, '93 Red MT 22 (aka Donna), '93 Red SS Performer (non-gas and non-casters), '02 Green OTP( my brother in law has it now), '04 Green OTG

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 07:12:34 AM »
Do you guys light a chimney and then dump into the vortex or do you put unlit into the vortex then light?

I put the charcoal inside the vortex and put a half a cube of Weber firestarter.
 Thanks guys. I need to practice more on the vortex. More chicken wings and turds next time.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 06:39:28 PM »
Interesting. Had not heard of this before. Lots of cooks to check out http://thunderdomebbq.com/tagged/Vortex and https://www.facebook.com/vortexchimney
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch