Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Going vertical?  (Read 1713 times)

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
Going vertical?
« on: May 31, 2014, 03:35:03 PM »
On my way to the WKC Mid-Atlantic Meetup in PA, I stopped at the BBQ Equipment Store in Hampstead, MD (recommended).  I spied a hanging rack for the WSM, which got me thinking...  I'm not sure how many fish I'd hang on it, but I was wondering if it would work for ribs.  I can fit 8 racks on my 18.5 WSM by 'rolling' them and skewering them with bamboo skewers, but that doesn't look especially appealing on the plate.  If I hung them up in the smoker, do you think they would hold together until they were done?  The hangers have multiple hooks to grab the food.

http://store.weber.com/accessories/category/cook/cookware/1555

One of the charcoal people.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Going vertical?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 03:46:31 PM »
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 04:36:28 PM »
Hank:  Been there, done that.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 06:37:23 PM »
Try a double grate that you criss-cross on the lower shelf. That way if one falls it ain't into the fire..  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 07:21:56 PM »
If I hung them up in the smoker, do you think they would hold together until they were done?  The hangers have multiple hooks to grab the food.

http://store.weber.com/accessories/category/cook/cookware/1555

Yes, they will hold together. I have that hanging system for the 22.5.  Each hook has extra tines to hold the meat. Works no problem. I'd post pics, but we're in the middle of moving, and most of everything is packed or in storage.

I will say, my younger brother has the set for the 18.5 WSM, and he does not feel there is enough space... the ribs are almost touching the coals. If you have a CB spacer, it would probably give you that extra space that he feels is needed.
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 07:55:54 PM »
That's a good point, Bob... maybe I would need to shorten my racks of ribs or something...   ...and maybe I could add the cut-offs onto the bottom rack for extra basting!