Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Addicted-to-Smoke reminded me of chili !!!!  (Read 1641 times)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Addicted-to-Smoke reminded me of chili !!!!
« on: May 19, 2014, 06:57:00 PM »

Saw his cookup / write-up & remembered this......if I'm not too brain dead, I don't think this has appeared here yet.........

OK......from a throwdown on Smoke Ring...........

This outdoor cooking thing is getting interesting.......

1st off, I cut some boughs, so I could make a shelter whilst the chili was cooking....or make a travois, if I needed toget out of town.....

Shot & rubbed a Tri-tip...

Smoked for 4 hrs, 235.......

Softened up another one from out of the freezer & condensed down some beef goo....

Chunked 'em both up & made tri-tip burnt ends.....

After that was going for 1/2 hr....started with onion, caesra, green chiles, tomato in a second pot.....

( added that avacado in the pic just for Jess, didn't end up in the mix )
( Also considered using the pasta-roni to try to beat DP at his own spagetti chili game....)
Onion in beef goo...

30~45 minutes & jumped the beef into the big pot.....
Added S & P , California chili powder & granulated garlic at this point....

About this point, the dawgs gave up....they already had part of a tri-tip for lunch...

Stewed with the lid on for approx. 3 hours.....200 deg.

Added just a little Ron's sauce near the end, so I could actually call it a "Bowl Of Red"

Seein' as how a bunch of people are cramped up by cold weather, I figgered we'll go Penguins vs. Flamingoes on this one....

With some crisp Ritz.....

Not a huge fan of cooked tomato stuff, so I aimed for a more beefy taste with a smooth afterburn....came out just right for what I aimed for
Smokey,some tomatoey, beef just in above that with a good taste of onion & then the chile stuff was a smooth burn at the end, I'm happy...... :D

Approx. 3#or a bit more, tri-tip, smoked slow / cubed / rendered to Ends
8 oz. tomato sauce ( missed the pic )
3 ~ 4 small fresh tomato, diced
1-1/2 large yellow or white onion
8 oz. green chiles
8~10 oz. salsa, fresh or can
Maybe 12 oz. beef goo, mine was tip & clod drippings, could use canned stock, amount may vary after cooking down
1-1/2 Tblps g. garlic
1+ Tblps. chile powder
S & P as you like.....
Add beef goo a bit at a time thru the cooking starting with the vegetable part

The order of appearance is stated above ^^^

I can open up a can of beans, if anybody wants some...... :o
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Addicted-to-Smoke reminded me of chili !!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 02:36:51 AM »
Now that's one heck of an interesting-looking chili, and very different from what I know how to do. Lessee, multiple kettles, some transference back and forth, a little unfamiliar nomenclature ... I'll take another pass at reading though it again later, after the coffee sets in this morning.

But I do believe I've been challenged to step out of my comfit zone a little, thanks!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 02:44:30 AM »

Wait a minute !!!!

You're going to add comfit to your chili?

"But I do believe I've been challenged to step out of my comfit zone a little, thanks!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comfit

That's an end around I didn't see comin' !!!!

Way outside the box, man..................... 8)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 04:19:46 AM »
Hey, I can't be blamed for my eyes glazing over when you began this thread with cut-down boughs.

... after the coffee ...

Only 1 more cup until I become another semi-productive member of society. In the meantime lemme see if I can "mustard up" some questions/clarification re: methodology.

You had me at beef goo. But it wasn't all created with this cook, right? Actually I didn't even see a drip pan under the one tri-tip you cooked here. And the second tri-tip came out of freezer, was thawed,  then warmed?

Did you use the dutch oven's lids or the kettle's throughout this cook? I can see benefits to both methods. Maybe use the DO lids where moisture retention is a priority and the kettle lids where smokey flavor infusion into the sauce is a goal.

The difference has implications for me, as my second kettle would have to run open and use the DO's lid (it's a Smokey Joe) to say nothing of only owning one dutch oven at present.

S&P --- ah, Salt and Pepper. See? Drinking coffee is good for me.

Let's go back to the tri-tip. Whilst I peruse the many threads out there about this ... was this about 3lbs total, or just for the one cooked here? I'm also trying to gauge the timeframe. 4hrs smoked, 3 hrs stewed at end, about 8 hours total messin' around?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 04:50:46 AM »

Yeah, coffee is good !!!

You got it all about right........one tip, pre-cooked, thawed out & warmed thru over a drip pan down in with some Beef Goo starter{ you see just before the pan went down in in the story} (everybody needs more beef in their chili, right?) another roasted up, both chunked down to burnt end size and all of that stewed up for whatever time the stuff that sorta looks like chili was cooking.........

Beef Goo is nice to have on hand.......I have some in the fridge AND the freezer at all times, as you never know when some good thick, rich, dense, gooey Beef  Goo might come in handy for a recipe that you're making up as you go along (Read: Makin' shit up....)

Using one D.O. works fine......smoke roast the meat perhaps using a drip pan underneath to 'catch the goo', so to speak, while it's resting, start off the other items you want to put in, onions & all those other little critters (no crawdads just yet, put them in last), then chunk or shred the meat & add into your stuff & start adding in layers of spices or tomato sauce or whatever else, the chili folks call it a "Dump"......1st Dump, 2nd Dump, and on & on until it's 'time to stew'.......you already know most all of this, though.......... ::)

About a 2-1/2# tip, each.....could use chuck or other things, leftovers out of the freezer what ever seems right at time time..........

Sorta figgered this out watching a TV show one time.....some chili championship cookoff where it was raining & everybody was freaking out........close the lid if you don't want it to rain in your chili......not that hard to guess on that !!!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 04:52:18 AM by 1buckie »