Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: A little bit of FAIL..and a little more fate. A score tale  (Read 2832 times)

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
A little bit of FAIL..and a little more fate. A score tale
« on: October 27, 2013, 12:03:00 AM »
A few months ago, July I believe, I purchased a OTP and immediately got Kettle-itis.  I snatched up a 18.5 hermaphrodite brownie in a wooden cart soon after the OTP.  Then I started talking about having a grill in the shop at work.  Our gasser grill left with a guy that quit so I started to troll CL for something suitable.  Well we all decided we wanted a charcoal grill (I decided for them of course) and after a few CL fails I found something suitable.  I found a NIB 26.75 Weber grill for $110 about 3 miles from work in the direction of home. I had no idea what a 26r was I just knew that it was larger than a OTP.  I immediately sent an email and I got a response about 10 minutes later asking when I could come pick it up.  "Right now!"  she doesnt respond that email until 45 minutes later telling me that the price is now $175.  She "incorrectly listed the price and she spoke with her husband and he wouldnt let it go for any less than $175."  So Im pretty pissed and decline.  She puts in on Ebay and it sells for $200. 

I end up snatching a red SS performer for the shop and all is well for a little while.  The crap deal still lingers in my mind and I vow to find me a 26 for a good price. 

Im having a cup of coffee and checking local CL and I come across a post for a 26 for $160.  I email the guy at 7:22am(MAxBobcat posted in Trading Post at 7:50am) seller contacts me at 8:08am.  I offer a SS performer as even swap and I get denied.  I ask what his bottom dollar is on the kettle.  $150 he says.  Ok...Im on my way.  Ill be there by noon.  I get there and the kettle is not in good condition.  I would rate it as fair and has some issues.  I point out the fact that it does have the original grates and thats a plus but there is some major scoring on the bowl, leg is bent, leg sockets are coming off(not really), and the handle is a bit tweeked(not really) and $150 is steep for the condition.  I offer $80 after mentally preparing to walk away if a better price cant be agreed on.  He comes back with $100.  Deal!

Im pretty stoked about this kettle.  Its just in time for turkey day and all I can think about is ribs and all the larger cooks I can do without running out of space.  I like the fact that its a bit messed up.  I can drill holes and paint it all I want with no guilt of ruining a pristine kettle. 

pic time..

original CL post

scratches or crazing..?  Im not sure

tight shot of scratches.

some of the dents in bowl.

stuffed into rental car trunk..LOL!

shot next to OTP. forgot to put ashpan on.  I do have it.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
Re: A little bit of FAIL..and a little more fate. A score tale
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 01:49:13 AM »
Cool, thanks for sharing. I am glad you got what you were after in the end. Sometimes you just need to stick it out and something will come along.

Looking forward to seeing your 'large' cook up on that beast.

Ken
Willing to trade first born for: *Ranger (any colour) *Westerner (yeah right)

*Imperial (Glen-Blue) *Brown GA

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 10:47:22 AM »
This is definitely a hobby that teaches you patience, and yours was rewarded.
Uncommon sense seeker

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 11:13:30 AM »
I'm happy to see someone from WKC got it!

26'rs are cool grills.   ;D

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 06:17:53 PM »
Ty all. Anyone have any ideas about that scoring? It's not scratches. Is on both sides. Is it severe heat crazing?  It spans from one charcoal grate tab to the next in the back. Makes sense that it's heat cracks.  Think I have a chance to get this warranty replaced?

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 07:51:14 PM »
Ty all. Anyone have any ideas about that scoring? Is on both sides. Is it severe heat crazing? 

That's what it looks like to me. Someone had coals banked on the side and the high heat cracked the porcelain.

Nice score anyway.
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 07:59:00 PM »
Nice score. Makes you wonder what they do to get them so hot to craze...
You have a great cooker now. Only you see the faults, others will just enjoy your eats.

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 05:50:26 PM »
Nice score. Makes you wonder what they do to get them so hot to craze...
You have a great cooker now. Only you see the faults, others will just enjoy your eats.

That's true. I don't really see the faults tho.  I see plenty of opportunities to drill holes for temp probes and possibly some form of gas assist start without the guilt. ...and maybe a paint job.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 05:54:35 PM by MINIgrillin »