Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: RANCH KETTLE ROTISSERIE  (Read 32217 times)

Thin Blue Smoke

• WKC Ranger
Re: RANCH KETTLE ROTISSERIE
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2013, 04:26:23 AM »
IMPRESSIVE!  The baskets are a really cool addition.  I agree, there definately needs to be video for the first use.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2013, 05:10:43 AM »
That ring is a thing of beauty! Why do you think it is limited to 90 lb? Did you mean 90 Kg? I think it could! I like the attention to detail such as the flex joint to the motor and the rollers for the spit. I would like to humbly submit some further suggestions.

For the balance problem with the motor, I would mount a surface toggle clamp to the opposite side of the ring to snub it to the bowl. It only needs to be there before/after you put the food on.

I think that would be a better solution than an independent brace to the floor. You would need to find one with a heat proof tip.

The other thing I would do (if not already planned) is provide some accommodation for an adjustable counter weight to balance the load when you cannot easily spit through the center of gravity. I didn't need that with two birds on my spit but I did phase them 180° apart. With a large turkey I might need to employ a counter weight.

I hope they lift your burn ban so you can fire that baby up! I know how eager you must be to do that!
kettles, smokers...

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2013, 06:02:35 AM »
very nice.  everything looks built very well.  fantastic!

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2013, 06:19:41 AM »
Just awesome!!! Congrats on super build gents!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2013, 07:19:21 AM »
That's so awesome. Very well constructed and engineered.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2013, 09:13:21 AM »
I'm Chuffed! :o

That is the BMF! 8)

dazzo

• WKC Performer
Re: RK ROTI
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2013, 10:31:26 AM »
This thing is gonna be something!

And it is!

Dude, relax your chicken.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2013, 10:36:36 AM »
Hey, you can create a small hook that fastens to the ring and an existing hole on the bottom bowl so that the motor doesn't tilt it out. it would look completely stealth on the outside and not intrusive for normal cooking. and cheap!

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2013, 12:37:34 PM »
Thanks everyone for the positive replies, it's these reactions that keep the motivation up when trying to complete projects
As far as the brace goes , thanks for the suggestions and I'll try and explain a little better what happens when the motor is attached with out the brace.
When attached and the lid is off it doesn't lift the opposite side where the shaft runs through the ring
The top of the ring tends to roll out and the bottom push in at 2 points, say if the motor end of the ring is north and the other end of the shaft is south the ring has pull on it at east & west
Now it's not all that critical, it won't pop out of position and really the only way you can notice it is the motor doesn't look level
I can push down on the shaft end as hard as I want and it won't make any difference
And once the lid is on the sides of the ring pull in and the motor sits back up level
I think the combination of cutting slots for the shaft and having 8lbs hanging a foot off the side of the ring is the issue. The brace was a nice easy fix. Once the motor is supported problem solved plus it's just a nut and bolt attaching it that can easily removed but I guess it does lose a bit of sleekness with the brace
As far as the motor Hank, it's rated to turn 40kg or 90lbs and I don't think your going to get much more meat than that inside the ranch
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2013, 12:59:10 PM »
What type of metal is the ring and motor mounting plate made of. I know at the beginning of the thread the talk was mild steel. I was wondering if you kept with that or went all stainless. I ask cause the pics from what I can tell where the mount is welded to the ring looks like stainless.
Looking for--- a yellow mbh any size, sequoia ( I know I am dreaming), avocado any size, brownie any size.

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2013, 01:02:40 PM »
Your right Mikey , all SS
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2013, 01:13:20 PM »
In that case where it is welded I noticed what some welders/fitters refer to as burn through or sugaring on the backsides of the welds. When this happens on mild steel nothing to worry about really, but on stainless it becomes an area where rust can occur. The fix that can be performed is grind out the burn through and weld over it with high nickel low carbon filler rod. The burn through cause what little carbon there is in stainless to collect in one area. The low amount or absence of carbon in stainless is what keeps it from rusting. Or you can simply grind the burn through even and put and acid paste on it to neutralize it to a point that it won't as easily rust.
Looking for--- a yellow mbh any size, sequoia ( I know I am dreaming), avocado any size, brownie any size.

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2013, 01:17:11 PM »
When stainless welds are made the weld bead or chevrons should be a silver to gold coloring with very little blue and preferably no black coloring. This means no contamination got into the weld. Burn through shows up black on the back side of the weld due to no gas shield being there to shield out gasess that are naturally in the air around us.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2013, 01:37:44 PM »
MIKEY, I was at a trade show last week and I saw a product that cleaned up the weld discoloration. The rep also mentioned that it recoated that portion so that it doesnt rust. Is there validity to this or was it sales bs?

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
RANCH KETTLE ROTISSERIE
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2013, 01:38:31 PM »
Can you post some measurements on the baskets?